KTM 625 SMC Steering Damper Options

I have just finished breaking in my SMC and I think it needs a steering damper. This is not a race bike by any means... I just use it to terrorize the streets of SF and my local back roads.

I wanted to know if anyone out there has had good luck with any of the availible models. I'd rather not have to raise the bar (as with the GPR) but if that is the best option I'll accept it.

Thanks for any input.

FZ

Congrats on the bike. I think you should dial in the suspension a little bit before going with the damper. I ride my friend's 625 SMC every chance I get. I have never felt a need for a damper, even with launching it off humps in the road at 60 + MPH.

Try slowing the rebound front and particularly the rear. I have also heard that the stock tires make it feel unstable. My friend is using Pirelli Super Corsa's. I have heard of others having good results with Pirelli Diablo's or Metzler Sportec M-1's.

Mike

Thanks for the input guys... I've been waiting for the MT60s to wear out before I swap them for something "slicker" and I'm glad to hear that will help. On the plus side I feel like every time I look at them they are more worn... so it shouldn't be long now... I was thinking of putting on some Michelin Pilot Powers. I liked them a lot on my 748. Anyone use them on a SM?

I was planning on doing some preload adjustment, suspension dialing during the holidays, when I get some more free time... hopefully that will help.

Thanks,

FZ

MWDRZ was talking about my bike. Everytime the bike has been ridden we have tightened it up. I think we got it just right now. I have had the bike on 2 roadrace tracks and it has been street jumped and wheelied like crazy. I would say save you money, wait on the damper and get new tires. The Pilot Powers would be a good choice, or find someone who races a SV and buy there take-offs thats what we do. The other option is to check the grease on the head bearings and tighten them up a bit more than they are now, that will dampen the front some. Enjoy the bike, I wish I had mine in San-Fran right now.

I'll check the steering... and adjust the suspension... if I can make it better without spending the big bucks on a damper ?

On a side note. Did any of you install a tubeless kit in the rims. I saw MotoStrano carries one for $100 a wheel. I figure that would drop 4-6 lbs per wheel and it should help with the tire coming up to temp and all that jazz. Opinions?

Thanks guys ?

FZ