Sign in to follow this  

Helmet cammers-thoughts on a h-cam pak?

So what is everyone using to carry your Helmet Cam equipment?

My ZR10 is small enough to fit in my Camelbak Mule, but I also like to keep my tool roll in there and don't want the two colliding on the trail.

So I usually use a regular back pack and keep the camera in it's carry case inside that.

I'd like to go with a fanny pack to hold the camera, but then you have the problem of the wires running under your Chest protector.

Anyone using something different, or something that works better?

I started talking to the owner of Dirt-bike-gear who makes fender pacs etc... about it and am looking for ideas

My first thought was maybe a pack that could go on your chest?

If my H-cam disconnected at the helmet there would be no problem...

I use an MSR roostpack - zipties to your chest protector.. I ride alone so I don't have to worry about roost hitting the recorder.

Best thing is not buying a helmet camera that has standard wires, too cumbersome if you ask me.

I know squiddy,

but I got a killer deal on mine and your's wasn't available yet!

😢

You'll still be able to alter the cables. 😢

MSR Roost Pack

ZR10 fits in it real nice with extra room for padding, battery pack can go in the outer compartment, then there's a small mesh part for ID and a couple bucks. Only 20 bucks, good deal if you ask me.. the camcorder's right there in front of you, I don't even use the LANC - just pop it out real quick and do my thing.

I use an MSR roostpack - zipties to your chest protector.. I ride alone so I don't have to worry about roost hitting the recorder.

Best thing is not buying a helmet camera that has standard wires, too cumbersome if you ask me.

So when will yours be available? Mine is dead and i'm thinking of getting another. I would like to support another TTer 😢

So when will yours be available? Mine is dead and i'm thinking of getting another. I would like to support another TTer 😢

It's all up in the air right now. I'm actually going to dinner with an investor tonight so we should have some dates set (if any) by Monday. If all goes well, my estimate is sales starting in late February.

I use a Pelican case for mine and toss it in a backpack. The foam inside is precut into small blocks and you just pick out the foam to make the shape you need. I bought it for waterproofness and crash protection but it also keeps my camera and batteries from freezing and 2ce I've run 3 - 1 hour tapes back to back at -35 without a problem. Some folks have pointed out that the case is too big for MX but it works great for me. I keep the camera, remote, battery pack for H Cam and a spare tape in mine. You can get smaller cases but this one was in the store so I grabbed it. I drilled a few holes for the camera connections and sealed them with silicone.

Helmet_cam_1.jpg

Helmet_cam_2.jpg

Helmet_Cam_3.jpg

It's all up in the air right now. I'm actually going to dinner with an investor tonight so we should have some dates set (if any) by Monday. If all goes well, my estimate is sales starting in late February.

February/March it is. 😢

DUDE.... What make helmet is that?????? 😢

It's a modular lid by Bombardier/Skidoo. It's a necessity for extreme cold. There's a rubber mask that seals to your face with little hoses that direct your breath out through vents in the sides of the helmet.

ColdLid1.jpg

ColdLid2.jpg

ColdLid3.jpg

There's also built in shades that flip down from the visor.

Builtinshades.jpg

No wires... is there wireless helmet cams out? 😢 (sorry - I'm out of touch with the latest stuff!) 😢

For me I put my little DV Cam corder (sony) in a sealed tupperware container with "cut to fit" foam around the cam. The wires (yep there cumbersome) run out a waterproof connector to the helmet cam. The whole setup is waterproof so I place it my camelbak with the drink bag with no worries of gatoraide leakage ruining the camera. The draw back are: Hard to change tapes and batteries (since DV's only go 160min max) during pit stops and it takes up some space that I might need for extra gatoraide on long races / rides.

Not to steal the thread, but I'm also interested in what other folks are using.. Looking for longer record times with better stablization..

-Brad D -(mr. out-of-touch-with-the-latest gizmos)

I've recently tested my Helmetcamera setup with no batteries....

Here's how;

My bike emits 12V since i have a dual purpose kit.

Cigarette lighter adapter on the bars, with a coily cord to my pack.

In the pack (which is a fanny pack I wear on the front) is a tiny 140W inverter. The Cig adapter "Y"s so I can also run my HelmetCamera via the 12V. One side to the helmetcam, one to the inverter. The inverter runs the camera, and also charges the onboard camcorder battery. Nice touch. It all weighs minimal... but it's not waterPROOF... I use ziploc bags as best I can. My Sony DCR-HC30 is tiny... and works awesome.

I'm hoping Squidward gets something soon... as I've also looked heavily into BulletCams setup... he too has some great ideas. Check them here; http://www.bulletcam.com/specials.htm and then call. He'll tell ya what you need to know. They also have made 'quick disconnects' at the helmetcam, so it's nice and neat. No need to remove the helmetcam off your helmet when you rest or need to 'disconnect' from the rest of the wiring...etc. Nice feature. You can also see their WATERPROOF (up to 10' submersible!!!) system...

I soon will want to also mount my camera and setup to my chest protector... I've already got a VHF radio/helmet mic/earphone setup zip tied to my chest protector... but, I'd like to simplify it all. At this point, I'm going to dedicate one chest protector to video/radio and the other to 'track' days. It just gets too heavy and bulky.

SQUIDWARD - why make a comment about 'wires'... your's isn't wireless, right?!

No Johnny, not immediately wireless. We may work on one though. The main problem is any respectable transmitter is going to still need to be held in a bag - pretty much eliminating the benefits aside from not destroying a recorder in a bad get off.

Eventually we may make a small microwave or radio transmitter with a li-poly battery that would adhere to the helmet.

The main thing about the Dirtcams wiring is the microphone will piggy-back onto the main wiring conduit via inline connector, so you'd be able to put it up next to your helmet, or next to your camcorder and still have one disconnect to ease both the cumbersome aspect as well as be easier to save battery life by simply disconnecting one connector no matter where the microphone is placed. It also eliminates the an extra 5 feet of wire when using your camcorder's rca to miniplug wire. It basically solves any aspect of cumbersome wiring.

You'll be able to, no matter what, just disconnect one connector and take your fanny pack and throw it 10 feet without touching your microphone or helmet camera... OR take your helmet off and throw it 10 feet without touching your microphone or fanny pack.. OR do both while removing the microphone.. It's extremely versatile and just plain makes things easier. As I said earlier you can just unplug one connector to keep the system from draining the battery. (In all cases, digging for any connector inside your fanny pack isn't needed).

Bulletcam's DIY style setup is fine and dandy if you're going to keep your microphone in your camera bag - but what happens when you want to put the microphone in your helmet liner or anywhere other than your fanny pack? It nulls the usefulness pretty quickly.

We've also got both a picture in picture board as well as a gps overlay board in the works.. a switch is child's play and of course would also be available. I'll also debut an accelerometer setup here in the next few days. 😢 Collectively you'll be able to do what red bull had done with the supermoto race on a slightly inflated weekend warrior's budget. It all takes some time (and $$), however, so initially we'll just stock the main camera setups with the wiring described above - as well as a NiMH battery pack and (safe) quick charger (1.5hr charge time, 8 hr run time).

Anyhow, I don't want to continue to hijack the thread so you can email/pm me if you have any other q's.

No Johnny, not immediately wireless. ....~SNIP~... a switch is child's play and of course would also be available. .

Squid...

Sounds to me that I'll be placing an order as soon as you're ready to accept.... I can't stand dealing with my "wire bundle"... however, you know that I'll then be asking to reconfigure my 110V adapter/inverter idea to work with your system, and be even less wires to deal with!!! Seriously.... I like that you've done your homework since we talked way back... And it sounds like you're perfecting something that's needed it way back when.

I'm the weekend warrior video guy with an intention to film every second of my ride. TO capture helmet cam, and any other footage I can from my Baja adventures.... like I have been already.

SO... the easier you make it, the more I'll prosper in the long run! 😢

😢 Love your show! 😢

I'll let you know Johnny, and thanks for the encouragement. 😢

PS - The power connector is the same style as all the others - so if you don't have the power hardwired to your helmet camera wiring, adaptation will be very simple.

I'll let you know Johnny, and thanks for the encouragement. 😢

PS - The power connector is the same style as all the others - so if you don't have the power hardwired to your helmet camera wiring, adaptation will be very simple.

🤣😢:cry:😢

....now I may be drunk. 😢