Sign in to follow this  

BBR springs ok for 115 pounds

Girl (friend) 115 pounds no gear , don't know how much with gear. Pretty decent coordinated rider. Do you guys think that the BBR springs will be too stiff ? The stockers sure are soft even with her little butt in the saddle. I already got the springs but have yet to mount them. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Don't put it on. Someone might disagree, but you are asking for a girlfriend with a face full of mud. It will lift the bike, which she might like, but the pogo action and side to side action will happen. I'd suggest to wrench down that spring, all the way.

If you want to spend some $$$, I got my shock revalved and am running the stock spring with a spacer. the spacer was made by Hlebo's suspension. I think it's about $160 or so for all this.

The only downside is your girlfriend won't ride the bike anymore. Why? Because you'll be "borrowing" it. It's the best fix I've done to my bike. Check out my weblink. Hope that answers your question.

P.S. Dude, I can't stress how bad that BBR spring will be for her. She'll be taking soil samples if she gets on the gas.

What about just the fork springs? Those front springs are super soft. She does like to jump a little. This girl is quite the athlete....good skier, horse rider etc.....I would like to improve this bike....I already did the power up thing with the jets but the suspension is lacking.....

The fork springs are cool. Try one BBR spring and one stock on first. If you put both in, that would be pretty stiff for her weight. You'll get a plusher ride and it will be much taller.

Why not try 15w oil with preload spacers. I did this on my 230 and I wiegh 160 pounds. Worked allright for 70' tabletops, but springs probably would have been better for how much I way and my riding.

Cheap too. If you don't like it, it's just a couple bucks you wasted compared to a couple hundred...

-Phill

I 2nd the motion on 250Thumper's idea. BBR springs are okay for heavier riders. Those springs will throw that girl right off the bike if she lands hard. My son is 125lbs, and he got bounced off every jump with those springs. We sold them, added a spacer and 15wt oil. All's well in our riding house now. 😢

You know, 250thumper is right. I forgot about the spacers option. that's pretty cheap. Also, you can get the springs cut (spacer comes with that) for $40 and that's pretty cool. At that weight, I'd think that would be killer.

I've been trying different options as well to fine tune the forks. What about trying the BBR springs and LIGHTER weight oil? like 5w. Any thoughts on that?

The oil viscosity affects the fork compression dampening AND rebound dampening. If you go with lighter oil and the stiffer springs, you will end up with "pogo" action. The bike will want to bounce right back up after every bump and jump. I modified my forks like many others with spacers on top of the fork springs. I also have a stock 150, and I feel confident that if you experiment with some different length spacers with a rider of only 115lbs, you will find a combo that she will enjoy. I weigh 170, and while I don't "moto" the bike hard, even in stock trim the suspension seemed O.K. For someone in the 115 range, it would seem just about right. Everybody's different.

Are you sure this is being setup for a 115lb rider? From following this thread it almost sounds like someone needs the bike to work for their size ????..........