Sign in to follow this  

Proper way to tighten spokes???

I was wondering what the proper way to adjust the spokes on spoked rims is. I herd something about do every other spoke or something. I don't know. I usually just start in the middle in the runoff, but like i said have herd different.

were doign spoke rims at school now we were tought to start at the valve stem and go every four, tightening ( if need be) a quater turn

start at 1 go to 4th then every 3rd, when you make a complete rotation you go to the 2nd go to the 5th every 3rd,etc.......

I was thinking when theirs a warp in the rim, maybe turn the corresponding spokes till the rim is straight, then do the method for tightening the rest of the spokes. Believe it or not i have fixed un-rideable bike rims before, i just never learned how to properly do it.

Like i said i always start at the most out of spec part, but sometimes this makes the wheel out of round and i have to straighten it and "re-round" it.

I was thinking when theirs a warp in the rim, maybe turn the corresponding spokes till the rim is straight, then do the method for tightening the rest of the spokes. Believe it or not i have fixed un-rideable bike rims before, i just never learned how to properly do it.

Like i said i always start at the most out of spec part, but sometimes this makes the wheel out of round and i have to straighten it and "re-round" it.

Give the spokes a tap at the out of true spot on the rim. Make sure all other spokes on the rim are approximately the same tone. The higher notes will be the tightest spokes (you may or may not have tight or loose spokes in the area of the "wow"). You can relax the spokes on the side of the rim that is pulling, you can tighten the spokes on the other side to pull the rim into alignment, or a combination of both. The tone of the spokes will determine which.Turn the spoke/spokes at the center of the "wow" in the rim about a 1/4 turn and the spokes on either side of that spoke on the same side about 1/8 turn. (tighten or loosen depending on if you are relaxing or pulling) You may have to repeat a couple of times. Make sure you go around the rim and check all spokes after each adjustment to make sure you have not adversely affected the rest of the rim with your truing work. Just remember little bits at a time.

I have a big dent in my front rim. I tried to knock it out, but i think i might just get a new rim. I tried a hammer and a cloth so i don't dint the rim surface, but to no prevail. Anyone know the best way to knock a dent out?