Sign in to follow this  

HELP Jump face is too straight up !!!

a practice track i use has a sweeping turn by an almost vertical drop into the pit coming out of the turn (from the side it could literally be a skateboarders half-pipe), that is not the problem though, you have 20-30 feet and then you start going straight up a 10 foot face of the jump and it scares me to death. (its too vertical) i usually hit it with just enough gas to jump 3-4 feet in the air but it is a hard back tire landing. the jump is actually a tabletop around 20 feet long and some of the better riders are clearing it. i am 39 ride a crf450 and they are usually 13-17 year old on their 125's so i have not asked for instructions...yet.

It sounds like you need to seat bounce this jump. Big jumps out of corners can easily be cleared by seat bouncing.

I hope this helps you out!!!!

haha....do NOT seat bounce this jump if you have THAT much room to make it and if the face is that tall. if you're scared of this face then you're probably not comfortable jumping your bike yet....which comes with time. the way you're describing this face is a supercross style face and the way i attempt them is go up to it with obviously more speed then to just get 4 feet of air, and then stand up,but not all the way...still keep ur legs bent and try to remain in that same position going up the face. which in turn will have you totally over the front end of your bike while going up the face, which is good and helps you keep from "looping out" and then while you're in the air your bike will want to complete its arc in the air a little quicker so in the middle of your airtime you will probably have to give it a hit of the throttle to keep it from endo'ing

hopefully something here helped you out, just give it a shot, you'll be fine....seriously! 😢

haha....do NOT seat bounce this jump if you have THAT much room to make it and if the face is that tall. if you're scared of this face then you're probably not comfortable jumping your bike yet....which comes with time. the way you're describing this face is a supercross style face and the way i attempt them is go up to it with obviously more speed then to just get 4 feet of air, and then stand up,but not all the way...still keep ur legs bent and try to remain in that same position going up the face. which in turn will have you totally over the front end of your bike while going up the face, which is good and helps you keep from "looping out" and then while you're in the air your bike will want to complete its arc in the air a little quicker so in the middle of your airtime you will probably have to give it a hit of the throttle to keep it from endo'ing

hopefully something here helped you out, just give it a shot, you'll be fine....seriously! 😢

i know what your thinking...easier said than done 😢

Good advice, definitely stay very low and forward at the take-off. You might try brake-locking the rear wheel in the air to help you get the front end down, too.

you have 20-30 feet and then you start going straight up a 10 foot face of the jump and it scares me to death. (its too vertical) i usually hit it with just enough gas to jump 3-4 feet in the air but it is a hard back tire landing. the jump is actually a tabletop around 20 feet long and some of the better riders are clearing it.

When you work your way up on a tabletop like this, then yes, some of the landings will be a bit stiff. Try to land on the gas, that will help to soften the landings some. High flat-landers are just part of being cautious and working your way out and up on the tabletops. You're doing the right thing starting at 3-4 feet high on the jump -- you just need to keep working on staying balanced on the pegs as you add more throttle each lap and work your way out smoothly. IMO, you shouldn't just "go for it" on this kind of tabletop, especially since you say it scares you some. There are some jumps (certain sharp landing doubles, for example) where you can't work your way out step-by-step, but tabletops are definitely good jumps to work on one foot at a time.

Hopefully you've read some of the other jumping threads here in the MX forum where it's mentioned that your goal at takeoff is to have the bike lift you up into the air by only the footpegs, and not the seat or bars. You should be able to hold on with only your heels, and not your legs or hands as the bike takes off. The exception to this is if there is a kicker on the takeoff -- for those you'll briefly clamp with your calves (sp?) on the bike to keep it from pitching forward too much at the takeoff. Once you start to get the feel for staying balanced on the pegs at takeoff (you'll be leaning forward some amount, to stay balanced against the uphill jumpface and the bike's acceleration from the throttle), it will feel MUCH more natural and MUCH less scary to jump lots of different kinds of jumps. Without the balance feel, then yes, many jumps are scary.

For that 20' tabletop of yours, start in 2nd gear taking it kind of easy, and work your way out about another foot or so for per lap for about 5-10 laps. Then start using 3rd gear easy, and keep working your way out. It sounds like it's a nice long steep jumpface, so the bike's suspension will be settled at takeoff, and the takeoff pitch will be pretty constant across gears and throttle opening. Especially as you get farther out and closer to clearing the tabletop, aim for a nose-down landing. For the flat-landers on the tabletop, rev hard just before the landing, and that will help to pick up the nose some. When you start clearing the far edge of the tabletop, just stay nose down and enjoy the ride!

I was working on a different kind of tabletop yesterday at Metcalf. It's only about a 30' tabletop, but it has a really weird takeoff that took me a while to figure out. The takeoff is only about 4' high, but it's real steep. To clear the jump, you need to be in 3rd gear at medium throttle, and to learn the jump and work my way out, I started easy in 2nd gear. But the jumpface is so short and steep, that it naturally kicks the rear end up, and it's a lot of work in the air to keep from endo'ing. So I'm getting a little discouraged as I work my way out on the tabletop, trying to figure out what to do with my balance and throttle at takeoff to get a more controlled pitch at takeoff. I was discouraged and struggling all the way out to about 28', when I finally started pinning it harder on the takeoff. It turned out that pinning it harder on takeoff helped to keep the rear suspension from compressing so much, which kept it from rebound/kicking up so much at takeoff, and whoosh, my pitch was finally back to normal at takeoff and over the tabletop! Woo-hoo! It's a fun little tabletop once you figure that part out. Without that trick, it's a real pain (as evidenced by all the near-crashes I watched at that tabletop while I took some pictures of my buddy practicing on it).

Anyway, my point is that you'll be able to feel comfortable on that jump once you get the overall balance thing figured out, and work your way up on the tabletop a little bit at a time. Don't worry about flat-landing from a ways up -- your CRF450 has plenty of suspension for it. -Mike-

I will be in Metcalf tomorrow between 8-9 AM. Berkemann, let's meet up. I need a riding buddy. I can ride the track but not that fast yet.

Carlo

YZ450

Number Plate "00"

Can't make Saturday unfortunately. Maybe either next Thursday 12/23 or the following Sunday 12/26. Check your PMs. -Mike-

Bomb it and clear it or get out of the fast line. I'd imagine if you just nail it and relax, it's going to be smoother. You're old enough to be the "kids" daddy, which is exactly my situation. We're older, WE KNOW BETTER. The battle between self preservation and ego.

Good luck with it, I feel your pain. 😢

Another thing I thought about, if it is a "half-pipe" gravity cavity, slow down before dropping into it. Get setup before you drop into the black hole of death. 😢 Then you can gas it all the way down and up and clear the table coming out of it. You may have too much speed before dropping into it, which makes the black hole navigation even tougher.

Or just take it easy over the jumps (self preservation) and smoke the children through the corners and on the straits. 😢

I just had to say that Berkeman's posts are a pleasure to read!!! good advice with precise and understandable instruction, nice to have that kind of experience to draw on, thanks for sharing.

At Club moto today, theres this 70' uphill double there that I've been trying to do. It comes right after a right handed turn and you land into a sweeper. I've been trying it but never had the balls. Today I nearly crashed when my front wheel landed on the uphill slope. Well as you'd think, I'd slow down, just lean the bike over a bit to fly lower and get on the gas when I land, but people were passing me left and right form doing this. So On the next lap, I pulled to the side to watch people do it. See if they were seat bouncing it or what. After calmin myself down and gettin my confidence up (a lot of people were doing it) I just said, screw it, I'll just go balls out and do it, if I come up short, I'll just land rear wheel first.

Just went balls out and cleared it. The landing was so smooth too.

Watching other people do it and seeing how they were doing it really boosted my confidence. Same with snowboarding. I was afraid to hit this 40' tabletop. After sitting there and watching a lot of people do it, on my next run I gathered as much speed as I could form the top and did it...