Sign in to follow this  

Need your help... YZ250F or KX250F??

Here's the deal. I'm buying my first bike this weekend and I can't decide on which one to get.

I consider myself a newbie when it comes to dirt (had a dt200 for about a year when I was 14) but I have been riding street for years and currently ride an R1.

I have been reading up about the many different kinds of bikes, 4 stroke, 2 stoke, trail bikes, mx bikes etc. etc... and I have decided I definately want a 250 four stroke mx.

Anyways... I have come across 3 bikes for sale that I am really interested in.

Bike 1 - 2003 YZ250F

- $5000 Cdn (firm)

- great condition with very minor upgrades

- well maintained with no work done (rebuilds, valve adjustments etc.)

- very little hours with very little wear

- Comes with boots

- 18yr old owner

Bike 2 - 2004 KX250F

- $5500 Cdn (may be negotated to $5000- $5200 but no lower)

- Absolute mint show room condition

- 4 hours on it (3 rides)

- Owner was going to race it but shattered ankle, moved into the city

- 29yr old owner

Bike 3 - 2004 RMZ250

- $5974 Cdn (Fairly firm. May be able to get to $5800)

- Brand new, never started, sitting in a showroom.

I have not seen any of these bikes. They YZ and KX descriptions are from the owners. I plan on seeing them both on the weekend.

Based on the information I would definately like some opinions. I have a feeling most people will be on the Yamaha side do to the popularity of the bike but still let me know regardless.

Keep in mind this is my first bike.

Thanks for your help.

If you plan to keep the bike one season or less-KXF More than one season-YZF Thast is due to reliability purposes. The Yamis just last longer but the kxf has awesome handling but the yzf is still amazing. Yami wins in motor department.

I would be cautious about an 18 year old owner of the YZF. This age of rider is usually pretty hard on equipment. I'm not saying you should veto the bike, just be extra cautious.

The RMZ and the KXF are the same identical bike. Both bikes roll off of the Kawi factory. Keep in mind that all first year production modles have defects that get resolved over time. Since the YZF has a few year head start on the others, they get the nod in the reliability department. Keep in mind that every bike has its own distinctive ergonomic feel. Except that the RMZ feels like a Kawi because it really is one. Good luck on your choice.

An 03 YZF should probably have a top end put in before you ride it. Keep that in mind. As for the KXF/RMZ, that is a great choice too. Buy a 2 piece water pump cover and some bars, and roost away.

Thanks for your help but I'm still not convinced.

What if I can get the KX250F for $5000? Does that change anything?

BTW it comes with the 2 peice water pump so oil changes will be a little easier.

As far as the 18 year old. I am a little concerned. When I called about the bike, his dad anwered and the son was in the hospital having surgery because of his motorcycle accident. (on his other bike)

It's a 3 hour drive from me and he and his dad both gaurantee the bike is in fantastic condition.

On the other hand the Kawasaki guy says he never had the bike down once and there is not a scratch on it. Apparently it's show room condition. (it's currently in a show room)

I'm really confused and want to make sure I pick the right bike that's best for me.

I think I'll go tomorrow, check out the KX and see what it's like. Than... I'll go check out the YZ on Saturday and make my decision from that.

But like I said earlier... if I can get the KX for $5000. I really doubt it but should I pick it up if I can?

Thanks again for all your help.

I am a big Suzuki fan. I was a die hard Honda fan until I got a Suzuki now I love them. As big of a fan as I am of Suzuki I don't know that I would get the RMZ. The KXF is the exact same bike also. Yamaha is about my least favorite brand of the main brands and I tend to say I would get a YZf. The reason I say this is in a year or so I would probably get the Suzuki but they still have some kinks that need to be worked out and Yamaha has had a few years and gotten most of them worked out. On the other hand an 18 YO owner wouldn't bother me too much but the way it sounds I might say the KXF just because it sounds like the YZf may have been ridden hard although right now it is a better bike than the KXF or RMZ. Any of those will probably be fine for you though.

Prices seem out of line for used bikes. Going prices for new 250 four strokes around here is $5300. I would recomend you keep shopping.

I agree that the KX-F and RMZ prices are too high for used bikes in this area (I'm in Cambridge). There are still new 2004 RMZ's in boxes around Ontario and they were being sold at dealers for as low as $5400 last time I checked. Of course when you add in GST/PST you're gonna pay more than buying a used one privately. I was in fact all set to buy one a few months back, but picked up a CRF that I got a good deal on and saved the taxes.

I'm sure you know the Kawi and Suzuki are identical (except for plastics). For some reason though, I was finding the RMZ's selling cheaper 😢

Don't know what you're using this for (MX/trail/HS?) I have a buddy in Windsor with a YZF250 with several extras in excellent shape (vet rider). He was waiting until the spring to put it up for sale (just bought a new YZ125). I could put you in touch if you want...PM me.

It depends on if you want to win races or not.If you want to win go Green,if it doesn't matter get Blue.Both good bikes,seems Green wins most races in this class.

The KXF250 is the fastest 4 stroke 250 but the YZ250F is more reliable and more for looks.

I would get a Yamaha but not that one I would keep looking. I would also get one with a bunch of aftermarket stuff already on it that way you don't have to add much. Thats what I did with my bike.