Sign in to follow this  

!!!!!heckler!!!!!

Thank you so much for the valve post, but just one I guess three questions. First one is probably pretty stupid but you have to drain the oil to check or add shims correct? Second I am still a little hazy on what the shim looks like could you post a pick of a shim by itself? Third I have heard that honda has had real problems with the head or cams or somthing like that. Will doing this matinence solve those problems or is that a whole other problem. Thanks in advance.

No need to drain the oil to check clearances, the tutorial is complete. Shims look really similar to a watch battery in size, just over 1/4" diameter and around 1/16" thick. The stock clearance on the intakes is 0.005", exhaust is 0.011". You know your valves are approaching the need for replacement when you start measuring smaller clearance values; hence you measure them on a regular basis (I don't know the manual recommendation). It's a 30 minute operation, so do it regularly. Consider the valves, springs and piston to be consumable items and just replace when necessary 😢 . The frequency at which they need to be replaced is a strong function of how the machine is used and maintained.