Sign in to follow this  

Clicker torque wrench that measures less than 20ft/lbs ?

where did you guys find a clicker torque wrench that measures less than 20ft/lbs ? Or is everyone torquing their bikes with the good ole meter wrench? The lowest I can seem to find is 10ft/lbs.

sears makes three types, inch/lb , a 3/8 that goes from 0 to 40lbs and a 1/2 that goes from 30lbs to 100 something

the smallest I seem to find is the 5-80. Does this seem to be sufficient for an 04 CRF250R? I already have a 20-250ft lbs. I just want to get in the habit of torquing my work back to spec without guessing. Especially the forks as I seem to be throwing them out of alignment quite often lately.

Thanks for the help. Any link can help too.

I have a Craftsman Digitork(The clicker kind). Its a 3/8 inch drive and its goes from 5 to 80 foot pounds of torque in .5 increments. (EX. From 10 to 10.5 to 11...etc.) It ran me around $80-90 bucks, but it is worth every penny. You just set the clicker to the amount of torque you wish to apply, then you start wrenchin' and when it reaches the correct torque, you will feel a decompression click. Very easy to use.

Buy an inch/pound. My Snap-On only goes to 210 inch pounds, or 17.5 ft.lb. and has an NM scale on the wrench.

I have a Sears Crapsman torque wrench that is inch pounds. I used it when I shimed the valves on my 250X. It sounds like you want an inch lbs wrench, not a foot lbs wrench.

I bought that wrench. I had to replace the clutch basket on a Ducati Monster when it didn't click at 84in/lbs.

Don't suffer the price of low cost tools. $30 dollar wrench, $150 cluch basket, then have to buy the good wrench for $59. Some lessons are learned the hard way. Trying to save a buck cost me 3 times the good wrench.

Tools are one area I don't skimp too much on. Harbor feight is a great place for some tools that might only be needed once.

Bill

I use that Craftsman Digi-torque wrench. And I too...love everything about it. So easy to use. And works well!

where did you guys find a clicker torque wrench that measures less than 20ft/lbs ? Or is everyone torquing their bikes with the good ole meter wrench? The lowest I can seem to find is 10ft/lbs.

I use a Craftsman 944593. It's a 3/8" clicker type that goes from 25 inch-pounds (~ 2 ft-lb) to 250 inch-pounds (~20 ft-lb). Craftsman isn't Snap-On quality, but then again, it only costs about $70.

Ok, ok, I see now. I never payed attention to the in vs ft but only to the 25 -250 (which I assumed was always foot/lbs).

I just bought this S-K 250ft/lbs Torque but now need another one for the lower torque settings.

Thanks a bunch for the info. It's amazing how much 1 can learn from a simple question.

I use a snap-on 1/4" drive inch pound clicker for all of the small stuff. I use the 3/8" for things like pinch bolts and cylinder bolts (8mm). I cringe when I hear people talking about using a 5-250ft/pd wrench to torque to 7 pds...that wide of a range simply isn't accurate at low readings.

I bought that wrench. I had to replace the clutch basket on a Ducati Monster when it didn't click at 84in/lbs.

Don't suffer the price of low cost tools. $30 dollar wrench, $150 cluch basket, then have to buy the good wrench for $59. Some lessons are learned the hard way. Trying to save a buck cost me 3 times the good wrench.

Tools are one area I don't skimp too much on. Harbor feight is a great place for some tools that might only be needed once.

Bill

Thats good to know..Thanks. I want to get a 1/4" drive wrench. But about the only one I can find that I trust is a $300 snap on. I cant do that.

In the air force one of our jobs was to calibrate torque wrenches for the base every six months. The clicker type that everyone loves are usually trash, regardless of the brand. We had to condemn 75% of the clicker type and even some of the new ones that would hit the base. We NEVER had to condemn a gauge/torsion type.....just a word of caution.

Rich

Thats good to know..Thanks. I want to get a 1/4" drive wrench. But about the only one I can find that I trust is a $300 snap on. I cant do that.

Get the in/lb 3/8" torque wrench from Sears then.

Just a side note. I like using th clicker type, especially in close-in areas so I calibrate it with $10 torsion wrench. The first time I checked my new 25lbs/lifetime warranty clicker type, it was off by almost 50% at 10 ft/lbs.

Rich

I've calibrated over 300 hundred wrenches and have never found a torsion type bad. Just pick-up a cheap torsion wrench, it'll be right.

Rich