Sign in to follow this  

tight corners in the woods

The last time I rode on my woods trail in my back woods I hit about 3 trees and dumped it about 2 other times. My main problem was tight corners, one in particular. The one im talking about is rihgt after a downhill and after the downhill there is a right hand turn, the problem is if you go off the trail, you fall off the shoulder of the trail. Part of the problem was because the ground was soft. Basically what I did was go down the hill in like 1st or second using the engine braking, then at the bottom where the turn is, I'd brake until I didnt need to or I could hear the chain slapping. My other problem is if something goes wrong, I tense up, making thins worse. Does anyone have any tips for me? Because Im kind of afraid of that trail now.

Heres some pics of the trail http://photobucket.com/albums/v144/JTsoccer59/Trail/ its not very long, maybe 50 yard of total trail just a rough estimate.

JTred,

Are you using the front brake? You know that the front brakes 70% of your stopping power. Its easy to think if you use the front brake, you'll slide out, but if you modulate it and let off if you feel a slip or a bobble, you'll have no problems. This is even more noticable on a down hill, as the rear brake tends to lock up easily and slide, and can actually increase your speed. If you find the solution to tensing up let me know. I do the same thing, and when I do, easy stuff becomes hard. Cool pix, it looks like the woods in my house, but your in PA and I'm in Tn.

this is the hill im referring to, theres other trouble spots, but this is mostly it.

Stand up,brake early,release brake,roll through corner,resume braking if necessary.Clutch pulled in might help, also try to look ahead on the trail. Don't fixate on the spot you fall at are you're sure to do it again. Scotty

Dude! You gotta ride in California. Tight switchbacks, over rocky ground, steep steep slopes, surrounded by boulders, if you blow it you're going off a clift, and in the winter you sometime encounter black ice.

i'm no expert, but i think the best way is to brake before the corner and then acclerate through

I use to ride tight woods a lot when I lived in N. California and I found the quickest way through the woods was to brake slide (rear brake) around corners and keeping the the bike more verticle so you don't run into trees.

I'd say it all depends on the corner. I use quite a few different techniques depending on the lay of the ground, wet/slick/dry, proximity of trees, etc. Sometimes I'll brake slide (standing or sitting) then throttle on at the apex. Sometimes I'll plow straight into the center of the corner using front and rear brakes to come almost to a complete stop while shifting my weight as far forward on the bike as I can, plant a foot on the inside, then throttle on hard with my weight completely forward on the bike which allows my back end to brake loose and pivot around. Other corners I've found it fastest to stay standing and actually ride the inside of the corner, throttle on hard and let the back end slide around the corner using the width of the trail to allow the back end some room to pitch out. I like that last technique when there is a sharp corner followed by a steep uphill..... and once in a while I even find myself on the brakes sideways into the corner weighting the outside peg, inside foot up by the front fork, throttling on hard at the apex and shifting my weight back for traction...... but mostly I just stand, ride, and enjoy the great outdoors.

I use to ride tight woods a lot when I lived in N. California and I found the quickest way through the woods was to brake slide (rear brake) around corners and keeping the the bike more verticle so you don't run into trees.

I agree, the hills in Michigan had these kinds of trails running all through them. Decend with caution, then pick up a liitle speed to scrub off into a slide, sitting down,then blast through into whatever comes next.Eventually,

you will create a burm to bounce off of or ride through. Good Luck

I say look ahead where you want to go, not where you don't want to be. If you come into the corner with your vision focussed on the trees and ruts that are on the side of the trail, then that is probably where you will end up.

Brake slide into the turn, try to carry momentum through the turn and get back on the gas in the apex. Takes practice but the faster you can get back on the gas, the faster you will get through the turns.

I usualy rely on my back brake for downhills, if I find my self going too fast I gently use the front. Also if the rear starts to swing around on you let up on the rear brake. When you get near the bottom lock up the rear start your turn and let the rear swing into the turn and back on the gas.

Brake slide into the turn, try to carry momentum through the turn and get back on the gas in the apex. Takes practice but the faster you can get back on the gas, the faster you will get through the turns.

I usualy rely on my back brake for downhills, if I find my self going too fast I gently use the front. Also if the rear starts to swing around on you let up on the rear brake. When you get near the bottom lock up the rear start your turn and let the rear swing into the turn and back on the gas.

gx can ride a bike. Remember, you are looking to waste very little time in a tight turn- not go fast. Listen to his advice. I am heading out tomarrow, the weather has been awesome, I will practice what gx teaches. Merry Christmas

Good advise all. I guess it depends on your riding level. It depends if you want to BLAST through the trail or just SURVIVE it because its given you the heeby jeebys. If it survival, I would use the front brake hard before the turn, let off the front and transfer braking to the rear for a small brake slide at the bottom to make the turn. Really if you having "vapor lock" the best thing to do would be to do it over and over until you get comfortable with the turn. It will make you a better and more confident rider.

yea...people pretty much covered what to do. one other thing that might help is getting up some of those leaves. ive got about 10 acres so my trails stay pretty clean because i constantly ride them, but just a mile down the road my friend has over 100 acres covered with paths that he lets me ride when ever i want. since hes got so many paths they have a pretty good amount of leaves on them, and his paths stay much slippier, because the leaves trap in moisture. i know that the leaves make it slippier because it is the same climate, soil type, etc.

Try riding the rear brake throughout the turn. It will load the suspension so that the bike tracks as though it's riding on a rail.

Its very difficult to tell just how steep that terrain is, the leaves if wet look to be slippery, Here in Oregon,that doesn't look to terrible. Any how, the best way to ride downhill is to think of it as all being level. Now if you were riding that same situation,and it was level, you'd ride it different huh? The rear wheel skidding,,your arms tense,,your all set up to crash. Try and scrub speed in the straight part, let off the brakes and just turn. the ground looks soft there. You've fallen before, try another approach. the one your using doesn't work.

I would weight the outside peg and keep the bike reasonably upright. The gradient is making the turn off camber. The same rules apply.

This looks like fun. If you are trail riding, as opposed to chasing the leader at a GNCC, I would use the low gear approach and probably not use brakes at all. Since the corner is a RH off camber, you will need to weight the outside (left) peg. Going between the two trees, I might be more to the left with a more gradual turn in going toward the larger (twins) tree further down on the right, making the apex at that point, unless there roots at the base of the tree, which will make the apex further out. If on the other hand I'm trying to hustle the bike (I've never really been in a position where I was chasing the leader at a GNCC), I think I would scrub off speed with the REAR brake, clutch it, and brake slide at the apex. I know the real fast guys will tell you to use the front brake, and I generally do, this looks like one of those occasions where I like the back brake.

This just looks like a slow speed turn, and you don't make time in slow corners, you make time in fast corners. Oh, and keep standing, slightly to the rear until to are at the pivot or apex of the corner. Lessens the impact of braking bumps, roots, and other hidden things that can place you on your head. Release rear brake, sit and turn the bike, accelerate smoothly, avoid sudden throttle openings.

😢😢

Don't look down at the ground keep your head up and look where your going to go and the rest should come natural and you want almost all of your breaking done before you come to a corner....

BTW looks kinda rutty, in ruts grip the bike with your kneees move back on the seat and keep your arms loose and let the bike go it's on way and once you pick a line in a corner you cannot try to come outa it you must stay committed to it or you will fall

P.S. I wish I could live there!!!!!!!!!!!!😢