Trailer manufacturer opinons. Pace vs. Haulmark vs. Wells Cargo

Well, as you can guess, this thread is about trailers. I am in the market to purchase an enclosed trailer of about 16 feet or so. I looked at a Pace today, and it was quite nice. However I would like to know what the greater TT population thinks about various companies. Please give me your $0.02 about which one you like and why. Also, which one(s) you don't like and why not. Thanks

Happy Holidays

I have had a cargo king for 3 years now, absolutely no problems, pulls super nice and has been all over the east coast, doubles as camper, bike hauler, Christmas present hider, storage unit and about every other use I can think of.

For bike hauling modifications:

Just put 4 tie down rings in the corners, maybe more depending on what you haul. Take a piece of 3" 24" long channel and bend about 35-45 deqrees, bolt to a 12" x12" 1/4" steel plate with nuts welded a matching bottom plate. (this allows you to remove the tire holder when hauling larger loads) bolt the top and bottom plate together on the corners with 1/2 bolts, cheap mods under $40.

This set up has held 900# Harley's in 500 mile trips to many bike rallies, not to mention hauling my non street legal dirt bikes all over the place.

I hope this helps, Merry Christmas.

I own a 6x14 wells cargo, has held up very well over 1 1/2 years on tough alaska roads hauling my families bikes all over the state. I use tie downs combined with bike boots from www.bikeboot.com

I towed my friend's much larger Haulmark down to Florida and back last winter for the Winter Olympics in Gainesville, I had a bearing go out on one of the wheels. The unit was brand new and it had been greased from the dealer. We used more marine style grease to lube the wheels ourselves again before I left. The trailer did a great job other than that incident. He did the trip again this year, he had 6 flats on the Al-Can highway, 5 were on the trailer. He has a hopped up diesel with a chip package in it, I think he was just traveling too fast for the gravel covered roads. He had purchased new goodyear trailer tires just before he left. A rock combined with extremely low temperatures cracked a piece of plastic on the front top airdam of his trailer. His excellent local dealer replaced it at no cost to him.

I have another bud who uses a pace trailer. He had good luck with it also.

I think all of the three you mentioned are good trailers, check with dealers in your area, see which offers the best deal for your needs and which treats you like a valued customer and gives better service options to make your choice. Competition among these 3 manufacturers has produced largely excellent products.

I have a Pace and it's been great for me. However my brother works for a place that sells them all and here is how he rated them...

#1 Haulmark

#2 Pace

#3 Wells Cargo

I bought the Pace because I got a much better deal on it.

(long reply)

I've had a Wells, Pace and Halmark over the years... and since the manf all seem to change models to stay price competitive I will list the years since they could be different now..

The Wells (96 model) was heavier duty (IMHO) which means it weighed more which give you less hauling capacity (GVWR). I liked the thicker plywood flooring and the outside skin was thicker. The wiring was well done and never had any issues (included a fuse pannel!). It did not have the "quick lube axles" which would of been nice (I cant remember if Wells uses Dexter axles or not...). All the trailers had electric brakes (state requirement).

The pace was a 98 model and was well built. The plywood floor was thick, but the outside skin was thin and dented easy. The ramp door was also a little on the wimpy side. The side marker lights had constant electrical problems due to rain getting in the lens and shorting it out (they were all installed upside down!) and they (manf) did not grommet the wire holes so the vibration eventually shorted the wires out. Speaking of rain... the fenders leaked into the inside which may cause dryrot problems in the long run. This model used the Dexter axles with the easy lube bearings which makes it easy to keep the bearings happy. Just don't forget to check the brake pads every now and then!

Halmark (2001 and still have it). Well built for the price (they have several models the economy tow is the least expensive - mine's the middle priced model). It has the Dexter torsion easy lube axles (great axles... no squeaky leaf springs!). Square tubing built... Nice welds. The plywood on the floor (IMHO) is was very thin but the plywood on the sidewalls was very nicely done. The skin on the outside is thicker than the pace, but seems to dent easier.. We opted for the regular doors (non ramp) on this model... and the hardware is nice, but rusted quick (painted silver vs galvanized). The wiring on this model absolutely sucked! It worked for about a year then we had shorts in the brake line wire were they (manf) ran it through a rough cut hole in the frame. Also the swing out doors would pinch the brake light wires when you closed them... The put the automotive plastic wire wrap over the wires, but after awhile the wires would short out internally due to all the pinching. We also had problem with the factor built D-rings for tie downs, which is partly my fault since I did not order the Heavy Duty ones. We opted for the cheaper 500lb D-rings and almost all the wall mounted ones have pulled out since they only used wimpy self taping screws to hold them in..

All of them tow great... never had any problems with paint, hitches, tires or leaky roofs and the dealers have been great to work with on little issues (like the upside down marker lights!). The long term problems I've had to fix on my own.. which can be iterating since these trailer cost $$$.

I would recommend to look at the quality yourself... If you think something is "cheesy" then ask to see the next model up or another brand.

Just my $.000002 worth! Hope it helps.

- Brad D -

Open to other manufacturers? I bought a Kristi last year so I can't give a longevity evaluation, but it has been to Daytona, Deleware,S.Carolina and quite a few lesser trips from NH. So far the only problem was a flat tire on the CrossBronx Expressway (I told him not to go that way) not the trailers fault. They use the easy to lube axles and the floor is 3/4", the ramp door doesn't seem to flex with my buddies K1200LT on it. I ran E-track down each side and the middle and put in a couple of Bike-Pro s (got it all from Mackie Ramps, well not the railer itself - nice guy to deal with) and built a shelf across the front for helmets and riding gear. Maybe it won't stand up like the big name brands - time will tell but it was about $1500 less than them for the same features. Worth a look if there's a dealer in your area. ?

• 11 years later...

the haulmark trailer is best because of the following points.

STANDARD HEIGHT
- 2-5/16in 10,000lb Coupler
- Center Draw Bar
- White Vinyl Ceiling Liner
- Breakaway Kit on electric brakes
- 78-3/4in Hat Posts side wall studs
- .080 Aluminum Top Wrap
- Floor Crossmembers 16in On Center
- Vertical Posts 16in On Center
- Roof Bows 16in On Center
- 2in x 6in Tube Main Rails
- 5ft V-Nose
- 2,000lb Side Wind Tongue Jack - Sand Pad
- Aluminum V Front Castings
- .030 Aluminum Exterior
- Polar White

http://www.mountainwesttrailer.com/

I've got a Mirage ... Nice setup.  Charmac makes some real nice ones as well.  Logan Coach is starting to get into the high-end snowmobile trailer business, they're well-established in the equine/bovine world.  

Wiring in all of them is junk, harbor freight to $$$$$ top-of-the-line trailers.  It'll work for a year or two, but when you start having problems with lights not working, it's often easiest to gut the thing and replace all the wiring.

Focus on the frame and structure quality - that's where cheap trailers skimp out.  Good heavy marine-grade laminated flooring, look at the fit-and-finish underneath. 

Interior wiring, accessories, etc aren't too hard to add yourself (usually quite a bit cheaper and better quality to DIY), plenty of manufacturers for cabinets/hooks/shelves/whatever. 

IMG_20151202_151424370_HDR-L.jpg