Sign in to follow this  

drx400e or wr450f

I have going to be buying new dirt bike in the next week or two and have narrowed the choice between the DR and WR. Does anybody have direct experience with these two? I am not going to race... trail and some desert riding. I'm 6' 225 and am a decent rider with alot of street bike experience and a fair amount of off road. Need some advice. Is the engine of the Wr that much better? What about the suspension?

Thanks for any help

Both are excellent bikes. Think of the WR as a high strung stallion while the DRZ is a thoroughbred (and reliable as all hell) 😢 that will last forever. Both have very good suspension as well.....even though with either bike you will probably have to get heavier springs 😢

Don't get the DR-Z, mine is a POS. The front wheel keeps popping up and the throttle control sucks, I can't keep it at speed limit. The stupid thing won't break down so I can work on it instead of ride it, so I have to do "performance mods" if I feel like some wrench time. No go with the WR. 😢

Don't get the DR-Z, mine is a POS. The front wheel keeps popping up and the throttle control sucks, I can't keep it at speed limit. The stupid thing won't break down so I can work on it instead of ride it, so I have to do "performance mods" if I feel like some wrench time. No go with the WR. 😢

😢😢😢

😢 :cry: 😢😢

the wr is a 450 and is more powerful then the drz. are you in california? if so then the DRZ will have the mikuni carburetor and not the FCR which makes the DRZ even less like the wr. the yamaha exhaust is a lighter design and good out of the box. the DRZ needs a new pipe for performance and to redude some weight. That alone makes the extra bucks for the wrf partially worth it. I think $1000 more for a 450 like the WRF is a deal and expect to pay more.

The DRZ is smoother power. I have riden a 05 wrf 450 and its a great motor and it's a much more in your face power bike then our California DRZ is. the analogy of a wild stalian vs a thouogbred is a good one. You will love either bike. they are different.

Yeah I would get the DRZ and with the extra money you could put the ME 440 kit on it and I think it would be very simlar to the WR in power. That being said I looked at a WR and although it may be a few pounds lighter felt heavier to me although it was stock and I have never ridden a stock DRZ. Mine doesnt have the ME kit though well I don't think lol. I thought the WR was very uncomfortable also and I have heard people say the E-start doesn't work so well in the cold. I would definately go with the DRZ as you can see I chose the DRZ.

Thanks for all the input. Ended up with a 01 DRZ400K. I think I made the right move.

Thanks for all the input. Ended up with a 01 DRZ400K. I think I made the right move.

😢😢