Sign in to follow this  

Which pumper carb?

The edelbrock has one feature that the mikuni doesn't..............Jets.

Having upgraded my XR250 with the Mikuni, I can assure you that it has jets. I did the kit from XR's Only. It was a nice installation, even upgrading the intake boot with one that, I believe, is from the XR400.

dr_drz, how about posting some pictures ?

Thanks in advance.

Edelbrock! The Edelbrock is easier to set up from what I have read on here. I love my Edelbrock on the 650. 😢

Mikuni works great, came set up perfectly from XR's Only. Main diff. between the two is with the edelbrock you can adjust it with a dial on top of the carb as opposed to changing the jets. Once the Mikuni is set up, you don't have to touch it. You can't go wrong with either one of these carbs over stock. 😢

Thanks guys, I may be able to get a Mikuni for cheap (like $250 or so) so I will be looking into that after the 1st of the year. I'm guessing that it wouldn't be worth the price difference to get the Edelbrock (I can't get a deal on that one).

Thanks again.

Zen,

I went from stock to the Mikuni, to the Qwiksliver....

I have the QS both our XR300 and XR440. It was a little more trouble to get nailed, but they have been trouble free for years. IT is the easiest starting, best performance...I really like the fact that, most of the time, the bike will continue to run even when it is on its side...

I had to buy both and compare them after listening to all the discussion regarding both. I you think you would be happy with a Mikuni, I still have one that I would let go for a reasonable price.

RH

(I'm in So Cal)

Either kind. I got the Mikuni from XR's only about three years ago, and it came jetted perfectly. I've never touched it since the day I installed it. It was by far the best $$ I ever spent on my 400 - even better than the suspension. Cold, it ALWAYS starts second kick - not the first kick, not the third kick - always second kick. (reaching the choke takes some getting used to) starting after crashes is way easier. Power and delivery is night and day - say goodbye to that annoying hesitation.

Everybody says the Eelbrock is better, I don't know. If you go to the XR600/650 forum, a few people are having probs with the Edelbrocks. Maybe its a BRP problem!

If you can pick up the Mikuni cheap, go for it. I know my MIkuni needed an adapter (supplied by XR's Only) to fit the airbox boot.

Pumpers are the way to go for the XR's, IMHO.

Oh yeah, my Mikuni even came complete with jets! 😢

Advantages of the Edelbrock:

1) Externally adjustable pumper and needle (think of it as one big jet)

2) Fuel cell--runs on its side when ya dump it...

3) Dual vents--easily self adjusts for altitude changes (a very nice feature)

4) Increased fuel atomization = better fuel economy (about 10% or more)

5) Increase of about 1/2 - 1 hp (or more in some bikes)

6) Nickel plated--wont oxidize

7) Edelbrock has some of the best customer service around.

8) Made and serviced by dirt bike dudes in the good ol USA-- who really do

give a shiite.

9) Compact size usually doesnt interfere with other aftermarket parts--unlike other carbs...

Disadvantages of the Edelbrock:

1) Slightly more cost than some options.

2) Some aftermarket parts "sometimes" rub--like some plastic tanks, pipes, and Ohlins rear shocks (all only on some models)

3) Fuel flow valve has been reported to stick on about 1-2 % of the carbs.

4) SAE 9/64ths allen head wrench needed to take it apart...(not metric)

Hope that helps you make your choice. For sure the Mikuni is a very conventional dirt bike carb--but one with a pumper--the Edelbrockon the other hand is a very very very different design--unlike any other carb. IMHO it is the way to go.

-M

One thing about the Mikuni- mileage is noticeably poorer than stock. I have a four gallon IMS on mine and the range is good for 120 miles +. I've never run further than that between fuel-ups!

Is there a significant difference between the Mikuni and the Edelbrock pumper carbs? Is one better than the other? I may be upgrading early next year and want to make the most of my money.

Thanks!

Go with the Edelbrock for sure. The Mikuni has jets the Edelbrock doesn't. The Edelbrock is a wonderous thing. Works extremely well. Better gas milage, better performance, will idle on it's side.

Dwight

The previous posts state that the "Edelbrock will allow the engine to idle while its on its side". Isn't this a bad thing? Will the oil pickup still be immersed in oil when the engine is on it side? Is there a chance that the oil pump can starve, while allowing the engine to still run, and hence allow a part (bearings, etc.) to burn up with no lubrication, especially if the engine isn't topped off? Dwight, etc. anyone want to chime in?

ptguy,

It's great that it runs on its side! When it somehow ends up lying on the ground, you just pick the bike up with the clutch pulled in, hop back on it and get going. In other words, you don't have to restart it when you end up on ground.

I agree that you probably wouldn't want to leave it run on its side for a long time although it would most like quit after a while due to lack of fuel in the float bowl...

RH