Sign in to follow this  

Ramp build question.

I have always built ramps with a shovel, but have lately been thinking about renting a small bobcat......so my question is how much do they run? and how do they charge you like by the hour or by the day? I was thinking about renting it over a weekend. Thanks 😢

A decent size Bobcat runs about $175 per day around here (delivery & pickup included). If you keep it over the weekend, the Sunday rate is usually about 1/2 the daily rate because they're closed on Sundays. Look for one that has dual joystick controls - they're really intuitive to operate. A note though...the bobcat is excellent for moving dirt that is already in a pile. Unless you've got a lot of experience, you'll have a hard time "scraping" the surface to get a load. You'll end up taking a big chunk out of the ground and then each successive load will make that hole deeper. If you have a hill or a decent incline, try taking your dirt from the bottom - sort of run straight into the hill as you face it. This will help prevent digging a hole which will hold water. I used one for a weekend and ran the snot of it but it's slow work with that size bucket. I had recently bought some acreage so I called a local Caterpillar dealer and told them I was going to develop a neighborhood (you never know!!) and managed to get them to let me "demo" a $80,000 backhoe/loader for 20 engine hours over 3 days - FREE!! They even delivered it and picked it up! 😢😢 The thing was huge, had an air conditioned cab and an 8 foot wide bucket. The backhoe part was hard to learn to use but after a while, I made BIG piles that I moved with the loader. It was FUN!!!

It all depends and varies from location to location and rental company to rental company. A friend rented a decent sized bulldozer for $500 for a week. That's more machine and less money than Dingus paid for the Bobcat, so definitely shop around.

around here its pretty close to 1000 atleast a couple places ive been to...my dad owns one now for randomn things and my freind and i are probly going to build a track next summer we have to see...