Sign in to follow this  

When do you guys replace worn/broken parts

When do you guys replace worn/broken parts  

50 members have voted

1. 1. When do you guys replace worn/broken parts

• I replace all my parts after every ride!
    • As soon as I know a part is fixing to break/wear down too much, I go ahead and replace it.
    • I just wait until it breaks and then replace it.
    • Nothing ever breaks, it just needs to be repaired with duct tape and zip ties!

I've noticed that alot of guys replace their parts before the even get near wearing out (i have been guilty of this before) and I notice some guys wait until it breaks, and then replace it (or maybe you dont replace it even then!).

What do you do?

I had to resort to a ziptie this past sunday at a race. One of my upper rear fender bolts took a hike along with the metal inner plate between motos. A ziptie was subsituted for the OEM parts. All ended well and the run away parts were replaced.

When you are racing competitively you dont want anything in your mind negative like...what if this or that breaks...it plays head games with you and hurts you!

If its an important part that makes the bike run/operate safely...fix it when it needs to be fixed.

If its plastic or graphics or just looks...who cares! Ive seen 15 year old bikes that look better then my 04 but I gaurantee they dont run better!

When you are racing competitively you dont want anything in your mind negative like...what if this or that breaks...it plays head games with you and hurts you!

If its an important part that makes the bike run/operate safely...fix it when it needs to be fixed.

If its plastic or graphics or just looks...who cares! Ive seen 15 year old bikes that look better then my 04 but I gaurantee they dont run better!

I'm with you all the way, there is nothing worse than riding a bike where you know it may happend to fail...

I just can't race that way 😢

It's all about the preventative maintenance. Sometimes I may replace parts earlier than needed, but I also find it easier to spend money when I want to, rather than when I have to.

It all depends on what breaks. Plastics can be held on with zip tyes. But something major i just stop and load up so i dont cause anymore damage.

And that folks, sums up my bike. I let the plastic and trim stuff go a bit, but the motor, suspension, controls, and functionality is top notch. 😢

how would you like to be somewhere like in the middle of ocala national forest and have that worn chain and sprocket finally go caput, that my friend is a long push that i want nothing to do with.

I have a friend that runs an old CR that seems to be held together with spit and baling wire. He rides couple of times a week and is so in tune with his bike that he not only knows every piece by heart but how much longer it's going to last. I've never seen his bike break down on the trail, but every time I've stopped by his home, his bike is in pieces on the garage floor having some piece or part massaged or tweaked to keep it running. I am always giving parts that I have replaced on my bike to him which he'll grind, polish, or weld to fit his bike. In spite of his bike looking delapidated... he is amazingly fast and I have seen him come in the top five consistently. It boggles the mind what he could do with a newer bike. Of course he won't try anything else... He's afraid that if he got on my CRF that he would be able to sleep thinking about getting one. (The last thing that I gave him were the OEM foot pegs that I replaced with IMS as his were worn down smooth on top and with the recent rains he had trouble standing in turns.)