Sign in to follow this  

2nd out of the gate?

Just curious 😢 ... who starts in second out of the gate? I've got an 01 YZF and always used 1st, but I was wondering if people had had sucess using 2nd right of the bat. Thanks guys.

-Kienan

i start in second all the time. Last weekend was the second time i rode my 250f and i had the holeshot in 2 out of my four motos and should have got it the other two.

It depends how steady you are on the line. With clutch control it can be done and I even remember hearing Brock Sellards say that he was getting holeshots starting in THIRD gear.

My theory was always, start in first to ease over the gate, and immediately shift into second (..I wouldn't even get the clutch completely out in first). The reason being, making the shift forced me to focus on controlling the clutch and it eliminates the possibility of a bog at the start. Once you're rolling just a little bit, the second gear pull is also easier to gauge when you can't hear your motor.

Everybody has their thing... that was always mine. And by the way, that was on a 125, but I still do that on the F, and it still works for me.

~Tex

'05 YZF

'04 RMZ w/SS valves (for sale)

Yep 2nd on my WR250f and get the hole shot intermitently with it. Have never had the hole shot in first.

i use 2nd no matter what for the start... im going to try a 3rd gear start at a practic ( not a real race) to see if my bike can pull it..

im just going to hold it 3rd gear bouncing off the limiter and just let the clutch out and see what happens..

lol

should be fun.

2nd out of the gate will limit wheel spin and promote tire hook up. Unless I am at The Hack (Glen Helen) then its 3rd with a ton of throttle and get into 5th as quick as possible for the Talladega turn! I gotta get out in front of all those 450's some how..

2nd out of the gate will limit wheel spin and promote tire hook up. Unless I am at The Hack (Glen Helen) then its 3rd with a ton of throttle and get into 5th as quick as possible for the Talladega turn! I gotta get out in front of all those 450's some how..

want to get out in front? cut the airscreen out, cut the rear wall of the airbox down flush to the fender, trim the hanholds so the air shoots straighter to the filter, gap the plug to 0.040, wrap the header and midpipe with header wrap, and complement that 262 kit with a set of cams from hotcams.

On a 250F, I always use 2nd. I've never tried 3rd, but I'd be a bit concerned on a 250F. Now a 450F, I think 3rd is doable.

It depends how steady you are on the line. With clutch control it can be done and I even remember hearing Brock Sellards say that he was getting holeshots starting in THIRD gear.

My theory was always, start in first to ease over the gate, and immediately shift into second (..I wouldn't even get the clutch completely out in first). The reason being, making the shift forced me to focus on controlling the clutch and it eliminates the possibility of a bog at the start. Once you're rolling just a little bit, the second gear pull is also easier to gauge when you can't hear your motor.

Everybody has their thing... that was always mine. And by the way, that was on a 125, but I still do that on the F, and it still works for me.

~Tex

'05 YZF

'04 RMZ w/SS valves (for sale)

That seems like u lose a lil bit by shiftin.......i just put it in second(make sure ur in second...i had a nuetral incident once) give it bout half throttle till the gate drops pin it and smooth out the clutch.