Sign in to follow this  

2005 YZF decompression plug

Hey, I see the TT billet plugs are only up to the 2004 models. Do they fit the 05s? The 05s use a different part number for the plug, but the same decompression shaft assembly as the 04 and earlier bikes.

Thanks

Sorry for the minor sabatage but I have heard a lot about these plugs. Can you tell me what they do? Should I get one?

Do you need to replace the stock plug if you don't remove your compression lever, mech or add an aftermarket pipe? Is it really necessary to put in the plug on a 05 that is fully stock. I have never heard it mentioned in any of the magazines but its all over this board like its a major problem with the older YZF's. Is this it the older ones only or all of them? Thanks

I put one in my '05 and it fits like a glove. I don't believe they changed the casting on the cylinder. Maybe they changed the part number because the factory "cap" is made of a cheaper tin this year. 😢

No worries man, order up.

Frontside... either go to teh Thumpertalk store and click on "items made by TT members" and it'll be there. I also had a post about a week ago about this. Look around, you'll find out all you want to know about it and more.

~Tex

'05 YZF

'04 RMZ w/SS valves (for sale)

If the '05 comes with a plug in it, and all of them I've seen have so far, the TT plug will fit in the bore.

You don't need to use the TT plug if you left the original decomp shaft in place when you did the cam mod, because the seal on that shaft is made properly, and the shaft being in the bore baffles the crankcase compression pulses so that the seal isn't a risk of auto-ejection.

The OEM bore plug is (inadequate) to say the least. If you have one of them, do something about it. Get the TT plug, a steel cup plug, wire over it, something. Otherwise, you could be next.

You can also bend a piece of aluminum into an L shape and pop a hole in it for the bolt to hold the OEM plug in as well.

It will work every bit as good as the TT plug, and trust me it can save the day if you dont happen to have the TT store and instant shipping laying around in your tool box. 😢

And speaking of the TT plug, it sure would be nice to have an alignment groove scored into it so you can tell when it's pushed in far enough. It protrudes out of the head an 1/8" and really makes you think it needs to get stuffed in further.