smaller back sprocket

hey, i was just wondering if i droped the back sprocket like 2 teeth would it make that much of a difference in top and would it make my low end bad? thanks a lot

your engine can handle it, go to Cycle City and pick up a renthal

sprocket...heres the bad part, Russ says when you change your sprocket you

should change everything at once, my 2cents says enless you need it bad

now, i would wait til you neeed to replace both sprockets and new

chain.....with a smaller back sprocket also makes it hard to do wheelies with

eas.

your engine can handle it, go to Cycle City and pick up a renthal

sprocket...heres the bad part, Russ says when you change your sprocket you

should change everything at once, my 2cents says enless you need it bad

now, i would wait til you neeed to replace both sprockets and new

chain.....with a smaller back sprocket also makes it hard to do wheelies with

eas.

yeah, i checked them out at yamaha today ben, there like 60-65 $ each. i was just wondering if it would make that much of a differnce up top and that much of a loss down low. and yeah i know it would make it harder to do a wheelie but it really is pretty easy to wheelie my bike now with the pipe on it.

no i dont really need it, just i ride with bigger bikes sometimes, and when it comes to a straight i cant really keep up. i didnt say i was going to buy it though ? . i just wanted to see if some one could anwser my question, will it make a noticable differnce up top and will it make my low end really bad? thanks

yea i was wondering the samething.

i like the power of my bike right now but how much would i lose going frome the stock 48 to a 49 in the back.. i need a little more topend but i dont want to lose any bottom.

sorry for stealing the post

mike

you said you have a 48 and you want to get a 49 for more top end right?

im a little confused, please fill me in about what you mean.

i was just trying to help you, you probably already knew that you had to go down for more top end though.

Ya... 48/49, confused... ?

A larger rear sprocket will reduce your final drive ratio, which will reduce top speed, but improve low-speed engine response and offer better pull coming out of the corners.

If you're not already winding it out in 5th, you'll likely see no difference in top speed.

As far as not being able to keep up with the bigger bikes... duhh... they're bigger and have more power. Take a locomotive engine and stuff it into a 200 pound frame and you'd have a kickass bike that nobody would be able to keep up with in the straights.

This is where technique comes in. Your smaller bike is more nimble in the corners and tight stuff, and has better "out of the hole" scoot. Take advantage of this to try to gain and maintain your lead in those areas. The big boys will always pass you when all they have to do is pin it.

I'd always opt for a slightly lower final drive ratio to give me the advantage out of corners, and this is one of the few things that I don't like about the WR... I'd prefer the bike to have the YZ's 4th and 5th gear ratios but keep the WR's low end.

I just added to teeth to my rear sprocket on my 250F. I could feel more low end power but i couldn't really feel a difference in the top end. I did climb some big hills with the new sprocket which i wasn't able to climb before.

My Bike: 2005 YZ 250F

My Other Bike: 2003 WR 450