Sign in to follow this  

XR250-v-WR250F

This old chestnut again guys. My dad is looking for a 1st bike he is just shy of 240Lbs and 5 9" he will be mainly riding woods and open tracks both with and without me and my 2 boys on their PW's so massive speed is not really a factor here i am thinking a 250 just because he has no experiance so it seems about right to start him off he can always go bigger as and when he feels the need. Maybe some of you can think a different bike, the magic button will be a great help too as he is a grandfather so kicking a bike with a boot full of mud is not going to be much fun after a few hours riding with tired legs so far the 2 candidates are the XR and the WRF i am going to post this thread on both the Honda and Yamaha forums in the hope of limiting any bias to either one.

Thanks in advance guys appreciate any helpful comments/advice 😢

After looking for a bike for me and my dad, if he is a beginner, I wouldn't rule out the dzr250. I think thats what my dad is getting. Now I am a true newbie to the world of bikes. but from my research, this seemed like a good bike for someone a little older, since it had a softer seat, and that little magic button

The 2 bikes do not really fall into the same category. A better comparison would be the CRF-X and the WRF. WRF has more power than the XR but the power comes in at a higher RPM range. The XR is built for torque, low maintenance, and is pretty much bullet proof. The XR is a little more "user friendly" and a little less tiring to ride, where the WRF would fit a more agressive rider. I'd say from what you've stated the electric start my be the determining factor.

i would suggest the xr only because it's not going to need large amounts of work. at the end of each ride all he has to do is spray it down and fill up the tank. every 4 months change the oil and clean the filter. the wr costs more and requires a lot more maintenance to keep running smothly. the wr is a better bike but it cost 2000$ more. for the money and simplicity i would go for the xr.

If your dad is only looking to trail ride with his "boys" and your looking for an e-start maybe the CRF230 would be an option, especially if this is his first bike.