Sign in to follow this  

WR250F-v-XR250

This old chestnut again guys. My dad is looking for a 1st bike he is just shy of 240Lbs and 5 9" he will be mainly riding woods and open tracks both with and without me and my 2 boys on their PW's so massive speed is not really a factor here i am thinking a 250 just because he has no experiance so it seems about right to start him off he can always go bigger as and when he feels the need. Maybe some of you can think a different bike, the magic button will be a great help too as he is a grandfather so kicking a bike with a boot full of mud is not going to be much fun after a few hours riding with tired legs so far the 2 candidates are the XR and the WRF i am going to post this thread on both the Honda and Yamaha forums in the hope of limiting any bias to either one.

Thanks in advance guys appreciate any helpful comments/advice 😢

I'd have to say go with the WR. The XR is rock solid, but it also hasn't changed in close to 20 years (besides minor suspension changes and plastics...)

A liquid cooled engine can produce SOOO much more power than an air cooled one. And at 240lbs, the WR shouldn't be uncontrollable, but still be able to haul him around nicely...

Besides... ITS GOT THE BUTTON 😢😉😢😢 :cry: 😢🤣:D🤣:D:D:D

What's not to like!

The WR also has the kickstart and it kicks suprisingly easy (at least to me...), way better suspension (can we say XR - at least 10-15 yrs old???)

P.S. you know I'm not brand loyal since I came off a perfectly good DRZ 😉

There is really no comparison. The WR is a much better bike. The XR250 is very dependable but IMHO does not have the suspension or the horsepower for a 240lb person. It is vintage technology.

If you were interested in a dependable bike that he can "lug" around that is more comparable to the WR, look at the XR400. Stock, the XR 400 has a few LESS horsepower than the WR250F (with free mods). It still does not have the suspension the WR does but it is better than the XR250.

So based on your criteria, I would look at the WR250F or XR400. I think the XR250 would be a very poor choice.

I own both an XR250R and a WR250F. There isn't much comparison. The WR is an up-to-date design having been upgraded nearly every year since its rather recent introduction in 2001. The XR hasn't changed much since 1996.

I like the large aftermarket for upgrades for the XR as compared to the other bikes in its class (DR-Z250 and TTR-250). However, you will find nearly as big an aftermarket for upgrades for the WR as for the XR.

Most people highlight the XR as a low or no maintenance bike. They like to ride it and hardly ever work on it. They say it requires less time to maintain. I have not found that to be true. I have not spent significantly less time doing periodic maintenance on the XR than I have on the WR. I suppose, if I wanted to ride and never do anything to a bike, the XR might be a good choice. It might last longer before it died than the WR. However, if you are inclined to do regular maintenance, the WR does not require much more time than the XR.

Given any thought to the CRF230? It doesn't sound like he wants to be a wild man on the bike. The 230 has the magic button 😢 and it's size would make him feel comfortable. Price is right, too.

Before anyone blows a gasket, 😢 I am not comparing the 230 to the WR, the differences are more than obvious. Just throwing in another option. My friend has one and it is extremely manageable in the woods and open space. 😢 A fun bike for what you've described.

No question at all the wr is better. ive ridden both the xr has good power but the wr is just all around better, the xr handles kinda sloppy but the wr is solid.

Given any thought to the CRF230? It doesn't sound like he wants to be a wild man on the bike. The 230 has the magic button My friend has one and it is extremely manageable in the woods and open space. 😢 A fun bike for what you've described.

Qball. I totally agree. I have both bikes, and the CRF230, while no comparison to the WR250, is a great beginner bike for an older rider who doesn't want to be a wild man. It's very easy to ride. Good low end, excellent hill climber. All you've gotta do is keep the oil changed! 😢 Having said that, after riding my 230 for a year, I upgraded to the WR250 and am amazed at the difference! 10 pounds lighter, tons more powerful!