Race Sag

set your race sag between 100-105mm. then check your free sag. you are looking for between 15-25mm. if you get more your spring is to stiff, and if you get less too soft.

just for your reference the stock yellow spring is 10kg

My question is when checking my free sag after taking it off the stand do i just measure it or do i bounce it a few times and then let it settle...it settles down about 1/2 inch. thanks guys

sorry about that. measure from a fixed place on the swing arm (right in front of the axel bolt) to a fixed place directly above on the fender or sub frame. I just made a little mark with a pen to enchure that the same spot is used for all measurments. hint: get a helper, its mush easer

I ride a 99 xr400 my height is 6'4" 250lbs, how would i adjust the race sag in the front shocks and the rear, is their a system

The type of riding is enduro!! not track

The shock sag is adjustable to some degree as shown here. The fork sag is pretty much determined by spring rate. Given your weight, I expect you'll need non-stock springs front and rear. A general reference chart can be found here.

Is that 24 1/8" measurement with the bike on a stand? If so, then your sag is 3 3/4"(about 96mm(24 1/8"-20 3/8"=3 3/4"). Back the spring nuts off til the difference is 4"(about 102mm). After you do that, see how much the bike sags just under it's own weight. Should be about 1". I doubt it will be tho, as it sounds like you have the spring preload set high to compensate for your weight. Ideally, it would be best if you had a stiffer spring, especially if you ride enduros and actually want to be competitive. Spend some money make your suspension work for you like it should for your weight. The bike will handle better and you'll be a more consistant, less tired and faster rider for enduro riding.