Sign in to follow this  

To modify or not to modify number plate with Protapers?

On motocross bikes without headlights what do you think about trimming off the front number plate strap that normally wraps around the crossbar pad when Protapers are installed? It seems to me like it possibly prevents the brake line from grabbing the front number plate upon fork compression but it has to be awkwardly bent back to wrap around the crossbarless handlebars. Looking at closeup photos on transworldmotocross.com show guys running it both ways. Any other pros or cons to doing it one way or the other that I'm not thinking of?

I cut mine off on my old 230 and on my yammie. I have no problems with the brake line going behind there, and believe me, the 230 bottomed out a lot.

It looks like crap too. Gets in the way, I hate it...

Have always cut mine off. Have never had a bit of problems as of yet. You can long gate the top mount hole on the plate to get it back towards the top clamp some more. As far as problems catching the plate with the brake line I have not had that. 😢

I have flexx bars and it didnt like to strap around those bars too well.

What i did was cut the strap off above where it connects to the number plate and then took a file and rounded the corners and made it look nice and smooth.

Id rather have that then have my front break line rip off my number plate or ruin something else.

Buddy of mine did cut his off and it was fine until!!! We were riding out in the woods about 30 miles from the truck, got into a really rough section and the brake line was flopping around, it hung up and actucually broke the line at the fitting... Needless to say he rode the rest of the day without a front brake.. It was actually fun to watch him try to keep up in the pack... 😢

Wouldn't even think twice, just cut it. I always change my bars in the first week and cut that and never had a problem. 😢

Look at any pro bike, there is some kind of strap running over the bars. Its there for a reason. Trim it and run a zip tie over the bars or something, but run something, or you're asking for trouble.

Don't cut it off, you can trim the loop and zip-ty it to the handlebar if you really don't like it.

I cut mine off and the brake line got trapped behind the plate almost snapping the line. It was like a banjo string.

You have been warned.

Mines cut, but I will defanitely find something to do next time. My brake line went behind my number plate a bunch of times, I turned the hard plastic sleeve so that it bowed out of the way, and it did help, but the damage was done. I'm replacing mine with a steel braided line tonight as a matter a fact.

I cut mine. My steel braided line got hung on top of the fork tube and when the fork extended it tore the line in half. Not at the fitting but the actual braided line. This happened during a grand prix on an asphalt section at nearly 100 MPH. When I got to the end of the ashplalt straight there was a tight left hander back into the dirt. I go for the front brake and nothing is there, just lever to the handlebar. Fortunately I was able to split two hay bales and ride straight through. Moral of the story -DO NOT CUT IT OFF. I now trim mine then attach it to my pro-tapers with zip ties to keep it from going behind the number plate.

Looking at moto pics, this can't happen for me. With the forks all the way compressede, the plastic tubing section goes above the number plate, so it holds it from floppin over.

It's not when the forks are compressed, it is when they rebound. I actually rode the bike for a couple of years with no problem, but then one day...... If you choose to ignore a safety issue like this after you have been told that is just dumb. Trim it but Zip tie it to the bars. I speak from experience.

I do not cut, but run the strap around the handlebar.