Sign in to follow this  

Considering trading a CRF450 for a CRF250...

I'm a senior novice vet rider who doesn't ride as much as I'd like and so I've been thinking about trading my 03 CRF450 for a CRF250. My 450 is quite the power monger and I don't find many occasions where I'm feel really together when I'm doing my best to go fast. It does tend to get away a little sometimes which then precipitates to a lot more braking, which then suggests full throttle again to get back up to speed... and so on and so forth. Not so when I'm fresh, but after one or two sessions things get a little sloppy for me and the fun seems to fade somewhat when I have to work so much at having fun. However, when it comes to racing Vet, there's no substitue for cc's on the start. This paradox is buggin'! To be competative you need the cc's, but when I'm just least bit tired, things get sketchy.

1. Has any one out there switched from a CRF450 back to a CRF250?

2. What kind of deal do you think would work to trade an 03 CRF450 for an 04 CRF250?

Thanks guys! (And gals!)

I've been there - done that. Went from a YZF400 to YZF250. Had a blast on the 250F, boosted my confidence tremendously. Unfortunately, also lost any chance of a hole-shot. In my case however, it doesn't matter wether I get a good start or a bad one. I always manage to slip back or move up to about the same spot. I now have a CRF450 and will be moving back to a CRF250 because it's more fun to ride and that's the main reason I ride these days. I also find it more fun to get a bad start and pass 10 riders than get a hole shot and then get passed by 10 riders. 😢

I went from an '03 CRF450 to a '04kx250f, and subsequently '05crf250. Don't regret it for a minute. While I don't race any longer, I do spend all my time on tracks and love a good long practice moto. On the 450, as I got sloppy, it got scary 😢 so I'd get off the track. When I get tired on the 250, I can keep riding and have fun for much longer. It got to the point where I wasn't having that much fun on the 450, as I don't get enough saddle time to get comfortable. But on the 250, I get back in the groove much faster and keep riding until the flagger waves me off 😢

For price reference, a friend just sold his very clean and little used '03 450 for $4300 in SoCal. (Yes, he traded to a crf250 😢 )

Mark

I like the way you think I'm also and old vet rider just out to have fun every year we have some guy from out of state or just became a vet rider and wants to take people out whatever it takes to win and he looses the concept and the fun of being able to finnish to race another day

For the most part, the 250F's are so fun. The statement made about the holeshot is most correct. If you start well, you will likely still have decent starts, just behind the good starters on the 450's.

I just got rid of my '03 CRF 450, and bought a '05 CRF 250 Saturday. I havent lookled back. On the dry slick tracks around here its faster because it gets traction instead of just spinning. I have to kind of rev it more, where the 450 you can kind'a lug it. I believe I did the right thing.

BTW. I am 30 years old, 200lbs, and race mostly Over 30. I think I might need stiffer springs, but I really want to ride it a couple more times to get the hang of it before I decide.

GOOD LUCK.

I used to race a Cannondale X440s and traded it in for a CRF250R back in April. I did so for the same reasons you mentioned. The bigger bike got me tired and once I was tired mistakes were more frequent.

I'm 6'3" and weight about 215lbs w/o gear. I had a blast this year racing on my CRF! Yeah, I get pelted pretty good by the big thumpers off the start but towards the end of the season I finally used that as motivation to be more aggressive on the start instead of settling for last to the corner all the time.

I feel much more confident on the little thumper and like the handling so much that I plan on keeping it a while. I might even put an RPM Ice Cube 302 cylinder on it in a year or two to get some of the CC's back for Vet racing.

You will have to rev it more and break the habit of lugging it because the power is in the mid-range, not down low.

From what you stated, I think you would be very happy with the switch, most vet guys who are doing it for the fun factor usally are very happy about going to a smaller thumper.

Keep us informed on what you do!

I too have gone through the whole Vet bike selection process. CR250 to CRF450 and last year to the CRF250. As the previous poster suggested, you will not out-run the better 450 starters to the first turn. Let's assume you get beat to the first turn by a couple of seconds, strictly by cc's, not by the rider's skill. I have found that I make that time up, primarily in the corners, within a couple of laps (This is not the case on a fast track with lots of 5th gear straights). Not only that, but I'm nearly as fresh on lap 5 as I was on lap 1. That's when you can really make some moves.

I'm never the fastest guy on the track, but I've done OK. But I can guarentee you that I have the biggest smile at the checkers...win or loose.

Have fun and enjoy the CRF250.

I just sold my 04 CRF450R too. Good ridden!

I'm much happier and have more fun on the CRF250R and KTM125SX.

I went from a 03 YZ450F to a 03 YZ250F, now I'm on my third YZ250F. I just extremely happy with my 250. I have much more fun with the 250, and the power is more than enough. Judged by how you describe your riding, I'm shure you will love the 250f's. You will probably ride just as fast, have more fun, and be able to ride much longer. 😢

Just sold my 2003 CRF450, looking for a CRF250 or YZ250F. Both are fantastic bikes for a senior novice. I'm not a color bigot, red or blue is just fine! 😢

Aggressive woods rider. 57, 6 ft 1 and 200lbs. Sold my WR 400 with a wisco piston 13-1 and every mod available. I really enjoy my new 250X. I can ride all day without tiring and the electric start is great. A little more revs and a lot more fun.