Sign in to follow this  

Mauna Loa ride today...

What started out to be a scouting mission for a gas drop turned into a 94 mile ride and a sore body. Next week we are gonna do a 2 day loooong ride so all I wanted to do was scout. One thing led to another and I actually rode till I ran out of gas which luckily was when I made it home... Mauna Loa is getting ready to erupt so I thought I'd check it out...

The road going up Mauna Loa cuts thru years of Lava flows of various types. This one is smooth Lava called Pahoehoe...

1-road%20in%20Pahoehoe.jpg

Around 1/2 way up the mountain I stopped and snapped this pic of Mauna Kea

2-looking%20at%20Mauna%20kea.jpg

As I got to the 12500 ft elevation patches of snow were still around...

3-snow.jpg

I put the timer for this shot. The road turned really gnarly the farther up I went. At one point I could barely tell which way to go. It was all Lava rocks...

4-self%20shot.jpg

5-gnarly.jpg

At one point I found a trail that was awesome! This was a really cool section...

6-nice%20trail%201.jpg

7-nice%20trail%202.jpg

I was at 56 miles on a stock tank and I burned a lot of gas climbing, falling etc. From here I coasted over 5 miles then rode every drop of gas out of the bike to make it back. In fact I just made it back to the vacation house and made my flight home to Oahu... 😢

8-coasting%20hill.jpg

You got it all man, barren moonlike volcano trails, and lush green forest.

I need to move... 😢

Man that must be torture on the tires! That stuff looks like it slices and dices tires! The Moulinex ride! 😢😢

Oh Yeah it is another Torture Chambers adventure ride! 😢

Sweet! I think you'd die of boredom if you rode my local trails {Note the lovely pine tree, look at that one.......} Now everyone will want to make it a 2 day trip, 1 for jungle, 1 for volcano!

Better top off that front brake reservoir!!

Nice pix you lucky dog!

Robert

tortures: i love the big island, but like the other guy said you must get tire discounts, that lava rock is vicious....after living there 10yrs i still

say hawaii has some of the best trail riders, every kind of terrain you can think of...

hammer

WOW!!! 😢😢😢

I wanna go! How beautiful, and with fun terrain to boot! That's gotta hurt if you fall on that lava though?

Man that must be torture on the tires! That stuff looks like it slices and dices tires! The Moulinex ride! 😢😢

Tires just get ruined on this side of the Big Island but the traction is outstanding so it doesn't matter if you knobs are all hash. Even in the jungles of the Big Island your tires get ripped up.

After next weeks 2 day ride we will have photos of epic proportions!!!! We will be riding the Mauna Kea side and I have 2 killer 150 mile loops planned.... 😢😢

WOW!!! 😢😢😢

I wanna go! How beautiful, and with fun terrain to boot! That's gotta hurt if you fall on that lava though?

One year while racing the Mauna Kea 200 we went thru a series of brutal Lava fields. At the end of the first day as soon as I got in my friend Alan Pflueger said, "Someone died today..." From the look on his face I knew he was serious.

His name was Tom Judge and he was from the Big Island. I didn't know him but from what I heard he was a good man. He left his family behind. On the way down the mountain I stopped and took a picture of this in the spot of Lava that killed him... Lava is gnarly brah....

9-tom%20judge.jpg

Great pic, especially the moon scape ones.

Do you have a gallery on line so we can see all of your pictures you take?

Somethimg like smugmug etc?

And to think my brother sold his bike and moved from Oahu just yesterday to Tarpon Springs, Florida. to be with and marry his long-distance-relationship girl. At least the weather is similar.

Finally a place with less vegitation that where I ride. That is great. I bet that lava can eat up the tires. Thanks for posting. 😢

The Mauna Loa ride is very dangerous. Not only is the Lava treacherous but the altitude is bad. I turned around at 13000 ft and I was getting altitude sickness from ascending to fast. This is 3 days later and only now am I getting rid of the headaches! 😢 My right eye was drooping a little too... On the way down I crashed 3 times just from making poor choices from light headedness and being very winded. The heavy XR is not the right bike for the place.... 😢 Fun stuff though.... 😢

Be careful riding by yourself, Master Chambers! I don't want to see a story about you on the national news! "This just in...man rides motorcycle into lava flow...surfs bike for a while...until incineration occurred."

How was the 650 at altitude, was it feeling like a 250 at 13,000'?