Sign in to follow this  

Fresh Gas,Metal Cans

With the importance of running fresh gas in you motorcycle and gas not keeping well in plastic containers, does it make sense to go with a metal can like the 4X4 guys use? I'm growing tired of dumping the excess 91 in my truck (that likes the 85) mid week and paying the $10 to fill it up come Sunday morning. I need a new can and the metal ones don't cost anymore and have mounts available as well. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Gas will last more than a week. I store my gas in plastic cans, the type that has a vent in the filler nozzle. The cap fits well, so well that the tank expands a lot when it sits in the sun, but the gases dont escape. The gas stays good for a long time. I think the evaporation is what kills the fuel, taking the nice explosive qualities and leaving less volatile stuff in the can.

Robert

Never thought of that. I guess its the gas in the bike that goes bad as it evaporates. Makes sense.

While gas will be useable from a plastic can, it will be better preserved in a metal can.

The reason is that plastic is a petroleum product and some of the vapors will actually pass through the plastic. It's what causes the stickers on gas tanks to bubble.

Now, is it enough to notice a difference in performance, and if so, how long does it take? I can't give you qualitative answers to these questions; perhaps someone with more experience in this area can chime in.

In a nutshell: Metal will preserve it longer but I'm not sure if it's enough of a difference to matter for your application.

😢

I'm told that sunlight degrades gasoline, hence containers that do not let light through are best. I use plastic containers. (I like to see the fuel level) I use the gas quickly enough that it is not really a worry. As long as you don't store it in the direct sunlight and use it within a month, you'll be just fine - you won't even notice the little bit of degradation that occurs during that time.

There is a certain amount of butane in gasoline, and butane adds a significant amount to the octane rating of gas. Over time the butane will 'boil off' or leach through the plastic.

Problem with metal cans is they can sweat on the inside with temperature changes. In dry climates it's not a problem but here in Mississippi you can get a significant amount of water in a metal can. It's been my experience that gas stored in plastic cans can last for months and when it does change you can smell the difference.

With the importance of running fresh gas in you motorcycle and gas not keeping well in plastic containers, does it make sense to go with a metal can like the 4X4 guys use? I'm growing tired of dumping the excess 91 in my truck (that likes the 85) mid week and paying the $10 to fill it up come Sunday morning. I need a new can and the metal ones don't cost anymore and have mounts available as well. Anyone have an opinion on this?

stored in a metal can in a cool place, gas will stay fresh for a long time. keep the can(s) full to cut down on condensation.

jeremiah

I thought a metal can was best- for about a year until I saw this thread. I keep my fuel as fresh as I can. I leave it only one year in the Honda Generator and that is a metal fuel tank. I agree with most everyone here, tun it over as much as possible. If you keep it up to a year, metal or plastic should be okay. Ideally, use as much fresh gas from a busy gas station as possible.