Sign in to follow this  

differences of the 04' and 05' crf25ors and fixes for them

I was considering getting a new 05 250f but then I thought about the 04 what are the diffences between the two. Powerband, suspension, handling, size. From what I have heard the honda is really nice bike I am just wondering if I am losing something by getting an 04' with a thousand bucks in my pocket.

If their is "thousands of dollars" difference I would get the 04. Their is no difference between handling and suspension, they moved the offset 2mm or something like that, which most likely you won't notice. Anyway, the most drastic changes are in the motor, the 05 is stronger and has more bottom end. However if you are just beginning to ride their really is no difference, unless your talking about a used bike, then their are numerous other factors to consider.

Head and Cam on the 05 are major changes. Both make for better all around power and maybe less valve stress.

We went with a demo'd 04 with some goodies and saved alot. If you want to trail ride or are a first time racer then the 05 would be less hassels up front IMO.

Honda made the piston skirts thicker for 05. They had problems with the skirts cracking on the 04s. That alone is worth paying more for the 05.

Honda made the piston skirts thicker for 05. They had problems with the skirts cracking on the 04s. That alone is worth paying more for the 05.

There are a few theories about that and the "Cylinder skirts" that crack not piston skirts.

I was considering getting a new 05 250f but then I thought about the 04 what are the diffences between the two. Powerband, suspension, handling, size. From what I have heard the honda is really nice bike I am just wondering if I am losing something by getting an 04' with a thousand bucks in my pocket.

Consider the previous owners maintenance when setting a price. If they can't show records of regular maintenance (oil changes, filter cleanings, valve clearance checks), I'd try to get more than $1,000 off the price of a new one.

There's nothing like buying new. If you have the money, do it up. I personally. Yes "I' not anyone else (I think) believe the valve problem faded in '05. Yes, I said believe. There's no truth behind it, but it's just a belief. Anyhoo...I think the 05' might have a few changes we don't know about other then the head, cam, and little stuff.

recently bought an 05 cr 250f and love it. riding in deep snow, on the ice, yeah!!

I have been told my those in the know that the cracking skirt (cylinder) can be caused by a worn out piston. Piston slap basically...the pistons on these little thumpers should be changed about every 20-25 hours under race conditions...

I am going to be using a J&E piston....

i would buy the 05 cause they have more power, thats one good reason

also realize that since the 05 has had a few changes to the motor its prolly a heck of a lot more reliable and what about resale prices when u sell it you will get more for an 05 than an 04 .............

and if you get an 04 you might end up spending more than the extra thousand in your pocket on repairs so get the more powerful more reliable 05