Sign in to follow this  

CRF450 Breakin Procedure

Hi guys, I had an '03 CRF450, and when I purchased it new in late '02, I was told to not lug it, vary the throttle input, and not to scream it for a break in procedure.

Now I just bought my '05, and am getting conflicting reports that say you should ride it hard to break it in. Which method do you guys use? Sorry if this seems as a noob question, but I just want to be sure.

Which method do you guys use?

If it were me and I were doing a standard practice day, I'd ride it from the start like a standard practice.

Use full throttle...NOT redline...but full throttle openings to create the pressure on the rings needed for a good seat. Don't lug it like you noted...just don't bounce it off the rev limiter either.

But other than that, ride it hard. Just like a normal practice. 😢

Do a search. There is a good article somewhere online that tells you just what therapture said. I broke all three of mine is that way and never had a problem with oil comsuption or being short of power. BTW - at 100 hours the 02 piston looked brand new, at 65 hours the 03 piston looked brand new, and I sold the 04 before having a chance to check it out.

Thanks for the input guys, I have been riding two strokes my whole life before getting my first 450, and now I have to play catch up in the 4 stroke area. would you guys also recommend checking valvel clearances after break in?