Sign in to follow this  

Passenger footpegs on a CRF230?

I have a 2003 CRF230, and alot of the time me and my friends are a bike short so i have to carry a passenger.

It would be nice if i could take them on and off easily, so that when i ride by myslef i dont get cought up on them in a wreck or something...

But where would i put them? You couldn't weld into the swingarm, you couldn't drill a hole in it! Maybe you could make a clamp or something that goes around the swingarm?

Or you could just not ride other people. The CRF230 is definately not a passenger bike. In no way is it. It is so dangerous you have no idea, and it's people that do that, that put out a bad name for dirtbikers. The person just shouldn't go with you if he doesn't have a bike.

I know it wasn't designed for passengers... But i dont understand how it could be any more dangerous then me carrying passengers on my dads XR650L... Its gives a bad name to dirtbikers? How so?

Well, where I'm from (the north east) most people view dirt bikers as bad or not so good people. The place I used to ride at got shut down because of stolen dirt bikes. If you were to see a kid just slowly riding, you wouldnt call the police, right? Well around here, kids ride around with no helmets, no pants, nothing. They double-ride eachother everywhere and people think they are insane so they call the police. An XR650 dual sport might have a bit better capabilities. I'm not quite sure, but even if it was completely legal and all that, I can assure you your suspension won't be happy with 2 people on it. And if you take a look under your rear fender, you will find two pieces of metal tubing. I'd be willing to bet those would bend. I bent mine when I had the bike from a different cause but it bent quite easily. But my main point is, no, they don't make pegs for it, I don't know where you could put them, and I woulnd't recommend putting any on there.

Riding with 2 people on a dirtbike is a no no, esp the 230. The suspension is so spongy and soft. Plus like AWP said, the subframe isn't ehs strongest.

And even over here in Cali, a lot of people think dirtbikers are the devil, esp when you got atv'rs doing stupid pointless drunken bs at public parks. I've run into the right people at the gas station though. A lot of people talk to me and such...

It's illegal for a reason. It's dangerous esp on a bike that really really isnt suited for 2 people.

Every four wheeler ive even seen also clearly states that it was not designed for passengers, yet i dont know a single person that listens to that...

And around here, we are just a bunch of rednecks! Flippin over old cars, bashin old zuke's, nobody around here cares!

But if you think the frame wouldn't take it, then i guess ill forget the idea though...

Every four wheeler ive even seen also clearly states that it was not designed for passengers, yet i dont know a single person that listens to that...

Typical quad riders.

The 230L is capable of hauling a passanger I don't see why a 230F can't. Practically the same if you tighten up the rear spring I think it will work. The rear pegs would be the only problem the frame is a little different on the L that allows room to mount the pegs.

The 230L is capable of hauling a passanger I don't see why a 230F can't. Practically the same if you tighten up the rear spring I think it will work. The rear pegs would be the only problem the frame is a little different on the L that allows room to mount the pegs.

On a 230L there's a decently designed subframe that's stout enough to carry a pasenger, while the 230F doesn't even have a subframe. All the 230F has is two little tubular ends designed to mount a rear fender, and that's about all it will support. 😏

I've taken people plenty of times on my 150f

I weigh 140 pounds myself, I've had easily a 180 pound rider on the back.

I do it all the time to bring a friend out to the trail when we have more people then bikes. And sometimes I'll take my girlfriend for a ride through the trails, I have her stand on the pegs and I just let my feet dangle and shift and brake with my heel.

While it might not be the 'proper' use for my bike, I also use my bike for many other uses that many people don't consider 'proper'

edit: I wouldn't recommend installing footpegs. I'd just have your friends drag their feet or drag yours. You shouldn't be transporting passengers enough IMO to need pegs. If you are gonna ride passengers it should just be to get them to your riding spot imo

Edited by Towlieee

Other that a few dads with their kids, I don't think I've every seen anyone on a 4-wheeler that listens to any sort of rule.

Dirtbikes are about fun. You have to weigh fun vs. risk. Me and my friends have pitbikes (110s) and we ride passengers all the time. I control clutch steering and front break, while the passenger controlls the rear break and the shifting. Its the greatest, so much fun. Just weigh the fun vs risk factor and make sure the passenger knows too. If you want to ride double than do it. Just search the internet for some bolt ons. and as far as the sub frame goes, as long as you are not transporting a 350lb man or hitting tripples the frame will be fine, its not made of cardboard.

For what it's worth, I drilled two 1/4 inch holes in my swingarm and mounted a kickstand. (Long story how a previous owner removed the stand AND ground off the mount.) Anyway, no adverse affects. If you wanted to drill a small hole and mount footpegs to the swingarm you totally could, in my experience.