Sign in to follow this  

Aloop tank/seat question.

I may buy a used one but I have some questions first. I know they are smaller than stock but by how much? How good of range can I get on one? Maybe 50 miles? If I break a shroud do I just replace it with a 96ish cr shroud? Also any good place to find one. I checked ebay but couldnt find one so if anyone on here has one for sale or would like to trade for a stock tank and 2 stock seats plus a little cash...... My stock tank is for a 250 so I dosnt fit my bike and my stock 400 tank was white and I tried to paint it and it didnt go to well, so if you want that one too.... An aloop tank will really bring my bike some looks. Thanks for any help. 😢

The ALoop kit has a 2 gallon tank (0.8 gallon less than stock) and I can get 50 miles out of it. I've never run it dry though. I did an 80 mile dual sport ride this last week, filled up at 28.5 miles (tank took 0.9 gallon) then I went another 52 miles (35 miles of it pinned in 5th on the road).

Mine came with 97 cr250 shrouds. Replacements only require trimming of a few tabs and look stock.

Keep checking ebay, because you sure can't have mine!

Ive been looking on ebay and havent came across any lately. I need it to go at least 50 miles because of the harescrambles and other races I do off and on. 50 miles will be about as much as I will do in a single race at least.

I may buy a used one but I have some questions first. I know they are smaller than stock but by how much? How good of range can I get on one? Maybe 50 miles? If I break a shroud do I just replace it with a 96ish cr shroud? Also any good place to find one. I checked ebay but couldnt find one so if anyone on here has one for sale or would like to trade for a stock tank and 2 stock seats plus a little cash...... My stock tank is for a 250 so I dosnt fit my bike and my stock 400 tank was white and I tried to paint it and it didnt go to well, so if you want that one too.... An aloop tank will really bring my bike some looks. Thanks for any help. 😢

I may be able to help you out in your search for an A-Loop kit. I seem to remember an extra one in my garage somewhere. I'll go dig it out and see exactly what is left on it. I think the only parts that may have to be replaced are the petcocks. I'm using all of those "extra" petcocks on my other kit to prevent me from having to swap them out everytime I go from the A-Loop tank to my IMS.

Love my A-Loop kit. Much more stable and confident. Gets over 60 miles to a tank desert riding. People who have never ridden on one don't understand why they are worth the $400 or so, but when you ride one you will get it.

Sorry, I think the A loop setup is funky looking. It is laughable that they try to make a fine Aircooled bike "LOOK" like it has radiators.

Weird,

Dwight

Sorry, I think the A loop setup is funky looking. It is laughable that they try to make a fine Aircooled bike "LOOK" like it has radiators.

Weird,

Dwight

You seem to hate everything that looks trick. Would you ride an xr that was completely rainbow with a fuzzy seat if that's how it came stock?

No offense, btw. But the USD forks are quite an upgrade for MX and the plastics are an upgrade for the visual appeal.

Gotta agree with 97xr. The only time Dwight seems to show up the XR4 forum is to bag on the A-Loop. I know you are old-school, and I respect your riding time, but let people make up their own minds after RIDING on 1. They are not just for looks (though they do look sweet).

Anybody ever try and see if a CRF230 tank/seat combo could be modified to mate up with the XR250?

The aloop kit is really nice. And IMO it looks good also.I just took mine off to put a 4 gal.IMS tank on. Need more milage. With the aloop I could about 50-55 miles before I had to use res. I would sell my aloop if the price is right. 😢

I've been considering the A-Loop kit for some time now. I think it looks great. I keep putting off the purchase because of the cost.

So is it money well spent ????

(if you look good your half way there ?????)

You seem to hate everything that looks trick. Would you ride an xr that was completely rainbow with a fuzzy seat if that's how it came stock?

No offense, btw. But the USD forks are quite an upgrade for MX and the plastics are an upgrade for the visual appeal.

It looks silly not trick. AND USD FORKS SUCK. The XR was never designed as a MX bike and if you think USD forks work better for you on that point, go for it. They are not as smooth or as compliant as the stock forks set up right. Just because you think it looks trick doesn't mean it is. As for that Fuzzy seat , I heard it was popular in certain circles that fly the Rainbow flag. They think it looks trick. I think it looks silly and serves no purpose. HEY, I got some FMF stickers that look trick and you can put them on your bike for extra HP.

Seriously don't think every mod is for the best. Many are just plain hype. The A loop kit is one. Now if you think it is better for your MX stuff then as I said about the forks , Go for it. But for Off Road it is more subseptable to damage and holds less fuel. You also don't need to slide that far forward on a XR to turn.

There are better areas on the XR to spend money on for real improvement.

Y'all have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year !

Cher'o,

Dwight

The a-loop tank would be nice haveing a much flatter seat allowing you to scoot up more on the tank and take corners a little bit faster. I also think they look much better. Could I use the petcock off of my old tank and put on the aloop? Dont a-loop kits need 2 petcocks? thanks!

The kit uses two petcocks. The kit comes with one, the stock petcock has to be removed from the stock tank and transferred over. Plus, you need to get a "Y" gas line fitting and route into your carb.

I was skeptical about the A-Loop kit until I found one on eBay for $280. It was money well spent and I'd recommend it. My riding consists of 80-90% mountain/off-road riding with the balance MX. The looks and handling are much improved. Also, no more nutcrackers because of the abrupt rear edge of the tank. It does take dual petcocks. If you have to buy them from Honda, make sure you're sitting down when they tell you the price. $40+ per. I don't tend to rev the guts out of my machine and let the low/midrange power do the work. Many rides are 30-35 miles and I don't think I've ever used more than 1/2 tank.

I put on a black UFO '04 YZ450 front fender, black Polisport MX rear fender, and black Acerbis handguards. Looks very nice. I don't think I can post a pic.

Hope this helps.

Doug

AGAIN...as I have saud before...expect the typical A-loop is stupid from Dwight. And again, expect everyone who has ever used one to tell you how great they are. And yes, Kev, your bike looks rediculous. Rediculously sick!!! That thing is sweet. Get one, you will love it.