Sign in to follow this  

kill, revolution, revolution, backfire.

I hit the kill switch after driving the DRZ about a half mile after warming her up in the driveway.. I flip the switch and of course it goes through a couple revolutions from momentum (I'm stopped, in nuetral - not riding 😢 ).. then shortly after the motor quits moving I hear a pop (backfire - not real loud, but still a backfire). this happened a couple days ago as well.

Is this just a jetting condition (which I WILL solve this weekend damnit..) or could it be something like the valves going out of spec again? It's been about 1.5K miles since my last valve check/adjustment

Exhaust pipe? Negatory...

I'll go test for intake leak, though I doubt there is one.

I also have some footage of the hanging idle deal to give you a better idea of what I'm dealing with - I'll digitize it here in a bit.

www.dirtcams.com/diagnose.wmv

I tried to get it to do the backfire but I suppose it wasn't nearly warm enough.

Hanging idle's shown pretty well.. If I slip the clutch a bit forcing the motor to slow down it'll idle just fine.

edit - Just tried testing for an intake leak - the idle's so erratic I can't tell if the wd40 is making it rev higher or not.. 😢

Squid make sure and check your coolant level too or pressure check the system or whatever.

That sounds exactly like what my S was doing and it has a coolant leak inside the motor somewhere. I still havent taken it apart.

It also was running really poor at idle and that "pop" a couple seconds after you kill it was another symtom.

On my bike its water boiling and causing pressure and a "pop".

It also would start boiling drops of water inside as the motor got hot while it was running. Sounded more like a rattle.

Just make sure and take a look see. 😢

Thanks for the heads up Nate I'll be sure to pay closer attention to coolant level. The rattling in the video is mainly my keys, but the motor's been noisy for the past.. as long as I can remember.

Well I didn't actually watch your video. I was basing my response on your description. ( Dial up internet connections suck. 😢 )

I will "suffer" and download it though and let you know if it reminds me of my bike and its current condition. 😢 :cry:

Hehe.. all the video is the hanging idle, I'll convert it to just audio for ya real quick though.

Tied up with xmas shopping and research/business so hopefully I can tear into it tomarrow and start adjusting knobs and see what makes a difference. 😢 Mainly it's just a pain trying to go through trails at barely any throttle, I end up clutching it WAY too much.. and naturally I give it gas when I clutch so my front wheel's usually hovering over the ground when it should be planted. 😢

Could be rich pilot too... FCR?

The popping + the idle is why it reminds me of my bike and its water leak issue. Same kind of issues. 😢

www.dirtcams.com/diagnose.wma is the audio only for ya nate - .875 mb.. shouldn't be too terrible.

Anywho I'm off for xmas shopping. 😢

I'm thinking it's rich as well.. just need to tear into her and find out.. Buh.. I hate yankin that thing out.. might as well check the valves while the tank's off though.

The bike is already pretty warm when I start it (say maybe 10 minutes after a hard ride), notice the rpms increase as it runs.. it's not really getting MUCH warmer, however.. 😢 After the initial gassing I let off the throttle every time, so when the rpms stay up, that's when it's hanging.