Sign in to follow this  

2004 YZ250F w/ JD Kit

I had my bike dialed in perfectly when the weather was warm:

- 42 pilot (stock)

- FS 2 turns out

- red needle w/ clip in 3rd slot

- 180 main (stock)

Now that it's cooler I can't get the bottom of the jetting cleaned up. From off-idle to about 1/3-throttle it burbles as though it's rich, which doesn't make sense with the temperature change. I tried both the red (3rd, 4th, and 5th slots) and blue (3rd, 4th, and 5th slots) needles today and the best overall power and performance was with the red needle in the 4th slot, but I still had that burbling from closed throttle to one-third. I even changed to a 45 pilot and that didn't seem to help. Temp was in the upper 50s and elev. was ~750'.

My next ride will be in California where temps should be the same or slightly cooler with elevations ranging from 2500 to 4500. Any suggestions on a starting point? Bike ran best last year out there when I only had the stock needle with the clip in the 3rd slot, 180 (stock) main and 45 pilot. Motor is stock w/ the exception of Dr. D exhaust.

Red needle with #4 clip position and #42 pilot, 1 3/4 turns is what I would suggest. Keep the idle slightly high and ride it longer to warm the bike before evaluating. Keep the same #180 main jet.

James