Sign in to follow this  

'86 SRX 600 throttle response question

We've a SRX 600 in a stable of family bikes. The SRX is a retired racebike that is no longer competative in ultra-lites and so lights have been slapped back on it for wheelie practice and street duty.

The bike's engine has been breathed on with hotter cams and a 13:1 compression piston kit but it still has the uber retarded dual carb set up that insures about second of throttle lag between off/on entering corners.

Has anybody got a way to sort this problem out? It has been and still is annoying.

Solution: Go to single carb.. I've seen it done, wanted to do it to mine that I had, but sold it before I really pursued it. Might wanna mess with your jetting, you may be on the rich side, or have may have some wacky gearing.

the Yamaha 600 grizzly [atv] intake manifold will bolt on and let you use a single carb, but you run into clearance issues under the tank.the best [expensive] option is to replace the carb-and-a-half with 2 good carbs.I've got 33mm Keihin CR smoothbores on both my SRX's. Sudco sells them ready to bolt on and jetted pretty close.

The single carb manifold (YFM600) worked great for mine , I fitted an FCR 41 Kehin flatslide , there are a few modifications to the oil tank , petcock and airbox (I use K&N w/airbox removed).....You also have to machine the manifold on a slightly downward angle to make it all fit.....the throttle response and increased power are worth it !

PHD, grinding the manifold wouldn't be a problem but what would I need to do to the oil tank and petcock to achieve SRX carburetor nirvana?

Has anyone used this setup on a TT 600. The single carb with grizzly manifold or the sudco carb's kit. Are there any clearence issues other then the air box for the single setup? Can the dual set up use the stock air boots? How is the throttle response with the duals on the SRX? Questions, Questions, Questions.

Some of us are so needy.

Thanks.

Years ago I installed a White Bros kit that used a pair of Mikuni smoothbores on a TT600. Ran great! I'll see if I have any other info on this mod... It's been a few years.

33mm CR Keihin's. It is absolutely the only way to go. With a 640cc kit, Megacycle cam and a SuperTrapp pipe, it was still pulling hard as I went past 110 mph indicated on the interstate before I backed off to avoid yet another ticket. Good throttle response everywhere - no step in power band. Just boatloads of power everywhere.