Sign in to follow this  

spark arrestor

hey everyone

i just removed my spark arrestor and it makes a huge sound difference.

i wanted to know if less backpressure (from having no sparkarrestor) will cause any damage to my engine. i ride at the desert, so me being to loud is not a issue at all.

thnx

Didn't we just go thru this a couple days ago? 😢

Put the spark arrestor back in 😢 or you will get arrested by the Spark Arrestor Police! 😢

😢🤣😢

i read that thread but it didnt answer my question, will it hurt my engine?

i cant hear my engine or what rpm its in when i ride behind my dad or any of those 2strokes in the desert!

i cant hear my engine or what rpm its in when i ride behind my dad or any of those 2strokes in the desert!

And you want to make your bike louder?? ------- With baffle and *groan* spark arrestor removed, and without being properly jetted, you can sustain engine damage. ------ But kid . . . you're in California. You CAN and WILL get in trouble by the law if you get caught without a proper spark arrestor. ------ Loud is cool . . . if you live in a vacuum.

Loud = 😢

i have it rejetted (sorry its not in my garage profile yet)

if i ran strait headers i would maby be in the same zipcode of sound as some of the bikes out there. they dont get pulled over.

another question out of the blue, do aftermarket pipes come with spark arrestors built in deep down?

edit: im not really going to run strait headers btw, i was just saying that

another question out of the blue, do aftermarket pipes come with spark arrestors built in deep down?

edit: im not really going to run strait headers btw, i was just saying that

Sorry kid, don't know the complete answer to the aftermarket pipe question. I do know that some of them have baffles. ------ Glad you're not going to run straight pipes. It ain't worth the trouble. My Harley even has baffles in both exhaust pipes.

So what desert do you guys ride? I want to take my boy down south sometime next year, in '05. Ride the deserts of San Berdoo, where I grew up riding in the sixties and seventies. Desert riding is awesome!!! 😢

leave the spark arresor in. A guy just got fined 10 million for staring a fire with his dirt bike.

Ride Without Spark Arrester, Get Bill for $10 million

The Associated Press reported yesterday that an 18 year old central Washington resident would be billed for the costs of fighting an August wildfire which consumed thousands of acres of forest and burned one home. The rider is believed to have started the fire while riding off-road on a bike without a spark arrester.

Exhaust Particles - All internal combustion engines produce exhaust particles which are predominately carbon with contaminates. These particles originate from deposits formed on the internal surfaces of the engine or exhaust system and, depending on their exact origin, may be expelled at temperatures in excess of 3,000 degress F. Depending on the nature of the contaminates, these particles are capable of glowing or sometimes flaming combustion. When expelled through the exhaust system into the atmosphere, the combustion process may continue or even be accelerated during flight. Such particles, if larger than 0.023-inch in diameter and at temperatures of 1,200 degrees F are capable of igniting cellulose materials on contact.

A Spark Arrester is a device which traps or pulverizes exhaust carbon particles to a size below 0.023-inch in diamter, as they are expelled from an exhaust system. Trap type spark arresters must have a method for removal of accumulated carbon particles. Most spark arresters generally perform in the high 90 percent spark arresting effectiveness range.

As anyone who has ever rebuilt a two-stroke top end can tell you, the piston and parts of the cylinder and cylinder head often have carbon and other gunk built up on them. Four-stroke engines can contain, and expel, similar deposits. Like the report says, small particles of this gunk may detach and be expelled through the exhaust system. Having been in contact with very hot parts of the engine, these particles can themselves be at a very high temperature when expelled. So a spark arrester is important insurance for any bike that will be ridden near trees or brush.

I like most of your post on spark arrestors, and I am in favor of them and quiet exhaust systems. I believe in the "less sound=more ground" mode of off-roading. The area that I disagree with is the figure of an "expelled particle in excess of 3000 deg.F.

I work with land based turbine engines and in particular, the combustion area.

Our current hi temperature combustion liners operate in the 2,200 deg area maximum, are ceramic coated to live at these temps, and are of the highest efficiency engines in the world. I have also been tuning motorcycles with dynos and EGT sensors and o2 sensors for peak performance for over 20 years. Even the sensors that are made with the highest temp. materials that can be made, have to be located some distance downstream from the combustion process in order not to melt.

If you push your exhaust gas temperatures in excess of 1375 deg.on a single cylinder dirt bike, you can be looking at damaged parts. I find it very hard to believe that any combustion by product could exceed over double this temp. And then to flow through the entire exhaust system and out into the air and still be as hot as you claim. Granted, a bike without a spark arrestor can start a fire. But 3000 deg.?? I don't think so.

leave the spark arresor in. A guy just got fined 10 million for staring a fire with his dirt bike.

Ride Without Spark Arrester, Get Bill for $10 million

The Associated Press reported yesterday that an 18 year old central Washington resident would be billed for the costs of fighting an August wildfire which consumed thousands of acres of forest and burned one home. The rider is believed to have started the fire while riding off-road on a bike without a spark arrester.

Exhaust Particles - All internal combustion engines produce exhaust particles which are predominately carbon with contaminates. These particles originate from deposits formed on the internal surfaces of the engine or exhaust system and, depending on their exact origin, may be expelled at temperatures in excess of 3,000 degress F. Depending on the nature of the contaminates, these particles are capable of glowing or sometimes flaming combustion. When expelled through the exhaust system into the atmosphere, the combustion process may continue or even be accelerated during flight. Such particles, if larger than 0.023-inch in diameter and at temperatures of 1,200 degrees F are capable of igniting cellulose materials on contact.

A Spark Arrester is a device which traps or pulverizes exhaust carbon particles to a size below 0.023-inch in diamter, as they are expelled from an exhaust system. Trap type spark arresters must have a method for removal of accumulated carbon particles. Most spark arresters generally perform in the high 90 percent spark arresting effectiveness range.

As anyone who has ever rebuilt a two-stroke top end can tell you, the piston and parts of the cylinder and cylinder head often have carbon and other gunk built up on them. Four-stroke engines can contain, and expel, similar deposits. Like the report says, small particles of this gunk may detach and be expelled through the exhaust system. Having been in contact with very hot parts of the engine, these particles can themselves be at a very high temperature when expelled. So a spark arrester is important insurance for any bike that will be ridden near trees or brush.

I have seen that article, did it for a current event at school

Holy Shit Dude That Will Mess Up The Muffler It Will Mess Up The Inside Where Th Spark Aresster Was, Just Take The Baffle Out And Leave That Bitch Alone

Ohhhhhh the profanity.......ouch my virgin ears 😢 hahahah just kidding