Sign in to follow this  

Question and Hello

Im about to return to riding and at the same time getting my 10 yr old involved.

I'm looking at the TTr 250 for myself and either a pw 80,TTr 90 or CRF 50 or 70 for my son. He is new to riding but I want something he can use for awhile.We are in San Ddiego and will be riding out in the desert and Parker area.Thanxs for the replies

Wayne

yea i would probably go with the ttr 90. somebody i know has a pw 80 and its a great little bike, but its a very weird two stroke. i think the ttr 90 would have quite a bit more power than the 80 but im not sure. i know your going to think the 80 since its a two stroke would be more powerful than the 90, but again its not your regular two stroke.

Welcome. TTR90 is the best bike from your list, but if your son is tall, then CRF70 is slightly taller, even though less powerful. We have had them both.

Problem is your son will outgrow these bikes in a season. And believe me, when a 10-11 year old boy throws a TTR90 around it looks dangerous; toes almost touch the ground since they have no suspension. You could consider a TTR125 small wheel or a CRF80/CRF100 too. He only needs to learn to use the clucth, but that comes in one day.

My point is kids grow and learn so fast, and you should at least have the right sized bike with decent suspension for them regardless the power.

Check out also the 3 bikes I suggested. You should perhaps start with the TTR90 for a season anyway. Good luck. 😢

Start them on a bike that is just slightly bigger than what they can fit on comfertably. My kid could just touch with his toes on the TTr90 when I got it. Didn't slow him down at all. A year latter he is flat footed on it. My 8 yr old has been ridding a TTR125l (the big whel version) this summer. 1st time on a clutch and all. He did good. Cant quite touch but was learning quickly.

One bad thing about the TTR90 is the clutch. Because it is such a torqy motor kids can start from a start in 3rd gear (regardless of how much you beet it into there head not to Grrr) What that does is wear on the clutch. When the kickstarter starts to feel like it is slipping that means the clutch is wearing and needs adjustment. There is a screw on the riht hand side of the cases that you need to adjust.

I agree that the PW80 is a strange litle 2 stroke. But I think it is a tad faster than the TTR90. The PW is lighter I think also. But it just looks goofy to me. But there is a lop of hop up potenial with the PW80. pipes, porting, jetting. That bike can be made to rip. But t still isn't a MX bike and a KX65 will smoke it.

Out of the list the ttr90 is the best. But I agree with the above if he is tall enough, or even not yet, I would most def check out the crf/xr 100. STAY AWAY FROM THE PW 80, PROBLEMS PROBLEMS PROBLEMS......need I say more?

I say to look for a ttr-125 or something small like that if he can fit. Why stay away from the PW80 its not a problem bike if you know how to add premix and change the oil and clean the air filter. The TTR90 and PW80 both can be modded they both have a suspension kit that sells on ebay that will raise it up and inch or two. From riding a pw80 (without the govenor) and a ttr90 the PW80 has more power...

I am selling my '02 TTR 250. It is in excellent condition with about 750 miles on it if you are interested. Let we know. Thanks Wayne

I think you should check out the KLX/DRZ-110. My eight year old rides the wheels off his! I started him on an XR50 when he was 5, but he always had a difficult time shifting it. The Yamahas may be the same. After we would ride for a while I was regularly having to tell him to shift. He would start out shifting just fine , and then stop. What was happening is his foot was getting tired from the shifting process. I checked it out and man, those little bikes have a very stiff clutch/shifting mechanism.

Anyway, the KLX 110 is MUCH easier for him to shift, and fits him better as well. I recommend this bike to any 8-12 year old beginner. I hear the hop up market is growing as big for these bikes as for the XR/CRF50's !!

Check it out............

Got a 2000 TTR 90 in great shape.Decided on a bike without the electric start.I want him to know how to kick start .It has a Big gun pipe and sounds alot better than stock .Thanks again for the input. Now just need to get the rest of the family setup.Can't wait to see his face XMas morning 😢

Good decision, he'll be happy! Now you have chosen a path of no return; prepare to update the bike frequently, next one a TTR125, then a YZ250F, then a YZ450F... 😢

Enjoy and ride along with him, and don't forget safety is #1, never let him ride an inch without a helmet and boots (minimum). All the best.