Sign in to follow this  

Snorkel Removal Question

😢 if i remove the snorkel on my xr400, do i need to adjust/change the jets, and if i do how and were do i go about doing it

Read/print the Gordon Mods sticky at the beginning of this section. It has all of the answers, but removal of the snorkel only does not require re-jetting. Removing the snorkel and the exhaust baffle does. The whole thing took me about 2 hours and was well worth it on my XR250.

removal of the snorkel only does not require re-jetting.

If you remove the snorkle on a 400, you will have to rejet. The 250 is different because the main jet is not as far off as it is on the 400.

Ok guys since you are talking about xr250 jettings wondered if you ca nhelp me with some advice i have a 2000 model jap import xr250 that has had a weisco 280 conversion ive removed the air box snorkel and cut of the spark arrestor inner type flush with the dome bit if that makes sense. So the sound is acceptable but not to much to annoy people, anyway apparently its on stock jetting is this correct for a moded big like this? i like in 53rd state liverpool england and the weather can go from 0deg c in the winter to 80deg in summer season i live at sea level but do some hill tails nothing to high though can anyone suggest a jet size/setting for my standard carb please??

:D😢😢😢🤣😢:D😢🤣😉:D😉:D

Ok guys since you are talking about xr250 jettings wondered if you ca nhelp me with some advice i have a 2000 model jap import xr250 that has had a weisco 280 conversion ive removed the air box snorkel and cut of the spark arrestor inner type flush with the dome bit if that makes sense. So the sound is acceptable but not to much to annoy people, anyway apparently its on stock jetting is this correct for a moded big like this? i like in 53rd state liverpool england and the weather can go from 0deg c in the winter to 80deg in summer season i live at sea level but do some hill tails nothing to high though can anyone suggest a jet size/setting for my standard carb please??

😢😢😢😢😢🤣:D🤣:D:D:D😉😉

Hiya mate,

Im in the UK as well, and also have a jap import xr250. If it's running the standard jet, it definatly wont run properly with the snorkel out. I've been there and tried it lol. The standard jet that was in mine was a 138, and i've gone to 142.5 with the snorkel still in and the exhaust uncorked to get it to run ok. Even with a 147.5 it still wasnt totally happy with the snorkel out. Its gettin on my tits lol. And it aint like getting to the main jet is easy, unlike the american bikes our jap ones dont have a big nut on the bottom of the carb to easily get the jet out....

Next port of call for me is the needle i think.

just replaced my 132 MJ for XR 250 with the 135. The throttle response seems to be a bit better now.........Thanks MAR and others who have helped me walk through the Mods. The 135 seems to be the recommended jet for the 250 at sea level and above until the higher elevations come into play, say 4500 ft and higher. i am sure the sticky on the Gordons mods will walk you through the xr 400 changes fine.

good luck

Hi alex nice to here from another xr rider in england, where do you get your parts from do you mail order them? p.s mine has got a big nut on the bottom of the carb does this mean changing jets is easier?

cheers bro

To change the main jet, turn the fuel off and run the carb until it stalls. Then you can remove that big nut on the bottom of the carb. There will still be a little gas in the bowl so use a rag underneath. Underneath that, you will see the main jet. Just unscrew the current one and put the new one in. Be careful that you have the threads right so you don't strip the threads in the carb (use your fingers to get it as tight as you can before using a wrench). It's that easy.

Just wondering... I removed my snorkel on my 03 xr250 as well as my exhaust baffle. Today I think i might buy a uni air filter. Do I need to rejet my bike if my snorkel and exhaust baffle are removed? If i don't rejet.. what would happen?

Just wondering... I removed my snorkel on my 03 xr250 as well as my exhaust baffle. Today I think i might buy a uni air filter. Do I need to rejet my bike if my snorkel and exhaust baffle are removed? If i don't rejet.. what would happen?

Good advice from MAR. I also went up one on the pilot, I think it was a 45 and I went up to a 48. I also had to drop the needle one notch (moved clip up on needle to lean the circuit. This fixed a low speed roll on hesitation. Bike runs excellent)

Underneath that, you will see the main jet. Just unscrew the current one and put the new one in.

A lot of times, the emulsifier tube that the main jet screws into will come out of the carb body along with the jet. This isn't the end of the world - but just be sure to not damage the needle when re-inserting. The needle jet which sits atop the emulsifier tube usually will stay in place.

Well, you guys have got me thinking about changing the pilot now. If that fixes the "low speed roll hesitation", which i am hoping means the throttle hesitation, then I am definitely going that route.

Well, you guys have got me thinking about changing the pilot now. If that fixes the "low speed roll hesitation", which i am hoping means the throttle hesitation, then I am definitely going that route.

i messed around with the carb on my wifes 02 xr 250r for about a week - trying to get rid of the off idle hesitation 😢 with a little help from qadsan and MAR - the bike has a crisp off idle without any hesitation now 😢

we ride sea level - 4000 ft

here is what was done...............

new A1 exhaust tip

UNI filter

snorkle removed

135 main jet

45 slow jet

clip in 4th position

air screw at 1 3/4 turns out

what realy fixed the off idle hesitaion was the moving the clip to the 4th position made the bike nice and snappy 😢

good luck,

jeff

i messed around with the carb on my wifes 02 xr 250r for about a week - trying to get rid of the off idle hesitation 😢 with a little help from qadsan and MAR - the bike has a crisp off idle without any hesitation now 😢

we ride sea level - 4000 ft

here is what was done...............

new A1 exhaust tip

UNI filter

snorkle removed

135 main jet

45 slow jet

clip in 4th position

air screw at 1 3/4 turns out

what realy fixed the off idle hesitaion was the moving the clip to the 4th position made the bike nice and snappy 😢

good luck,

jeff

killer Jeff........Now where does one find the A1 exhaust tip, and what kind of noise increase are we talking about? I'm not all that concerned about it really, unless it is a major difference in noise that is.

thanks.......

A couple of other points to think about: Jetting slightly fat (rich) may not be ideal for peak horsepower but it does perform two very important functions in air cooled four stroke engines. The first benefit is increased cooling (the fuel itself adds cooling to the cylinder and a rich mixture burns slightly cooler than a lean mix). This is important especially in a 250 where the engine is run harder than in the large bore thumpers. The second is a rich mixture lugs better than a lean mixture which translates to more low end grunt. I always jet as fat as the engine will handle without fouling the plug. My plug always runs at the dark side of brown.