So I'm gonna ride my 1st Enduro.....Help!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it is 3 things, physical conditioning, physical conditioning, physical conditioning. I ride in the old mans class and do pretty good for the first half or so but start making stupid mistakes because I am tired. Dont forget nutrition and hygration.

? The 2005 schedule isn't out yet on the D36 website. http://www.ama-d36.org/

But if they keep the order the same. ?

The Holister National is January 8, 9. (May be alittle too early for me)

The Praire City Grand Prix is in the end of January, the 22-23. ? (Here it starts!)

The Quicksilver in Clear Creek is at the end of February. ?

The Virginia City Grand Prix is April 30 and May 1st. ?

I'm sure there are more.......?????? ?

My plan is to do them all that are close to me! :D

I wanna enter the "Old Man Who Thinks He's still 24" division. ? Some guys buy a Vette when they turn 42. I just try to kill myself! :D

I'm going to try my first enduro this year too. Advice I've been given is to go off the same line with someone with experience and keep up the best you can and just don't pass them. That way you can just ride and not try to figure out keeping time on your first race. I'd suggest taking Peakrider up on his offer and just go off with him.

I've heard the quicksilver is tough and I am not good. Any recommendations on easier enduros in d36 for the beginner ?

None of the above mentioned is an enduro except the Quicksilver BUT I don't advise starting your enduro carrier with that race ? - eventhough I heard the Wild Bore (held at the same place CC) was tougher than the Quick last year - I raced part of it until I DNFeeeeeeeeeeeed with a front flat ? .

This is what I would recommend - JMO - start getting in condition to do some races - and start with the Wild Piglet - the day after the wild boar at CC - it is a family enduro and runs about 50~ miles - it is a FUN event and a great ride - you will get a sense of how an enduro is run and have a blast doing it - less pressure - sign up with some buddies - 4 to a row - and check it out!! ?

As far as getting hurt - enduros are not any more dangerous than going riding with your buddies - I have avoided CC and hair scramble because of possible injury - they have a MX style start - like 40 riders fighting for the first turn and I think you will find more guys riding over there heads at one of these races. ? I think I will race the Hollister National though??

? The 2005 schedule isn't out yet on the D36 website. http://www.ama-d36.org/

But if they keep the order the same. :D

The Holister National is January 8, 9. (May be alittle too early for me)

The Praire City Grand Prix is in the end of January, the 22-23. :D (Here it starts!)

The Quicksilver in Clear Creek is at the end of February. :D

The Virginia City Grand Prix is April 30 and May 1st. ?

I'm sure there are more.......?????? ?

My plan is to do them all that are close to me! :D

I wanna enter the "Old Man Who Thinks He's still 24" division. ? Some guys buy a Vette when they turn 42. I just try to kill myself! ?

I'm still confused ? Are you going to race cross-country or enduro ?

Or both ? Going to have two numbers? Two bikes? Enduro's are safer then CC, but your bike won't go fast enough to hurt you too bad ? Anyway let me know if you decide to do a CC race and I'll push you along.. ?

? Killer,

I'd love any help I can get! ?

My first few races, Like Dom said......."All you wanna do is finish!" ? I will not let it get in my head! Not yet anyway. Talk to me again when I have that KTM! :D

By buddy at work wants me to start doing desert races with him. He does the Baja 500 and Baja 1000 and comes back looking like Quasimodo!? ?

Heck, I just want to take the next step. Improve my riding and technique,,,,,and have fun! ?

I've never been to Clear Creek and hear it's a fantastic spot. What a better way to see the area than a race! ?

Scott... ?

I would highly recommend using the XR for your first race...You don't want to crash a new pumpkin.? ..After you pass a few slow (smart) old men, you'll think your Ty Davis until your t*t's up. :D Also they do sound checks, and that WB shorty's a red flag, they will call in the FED'S to give you a public flogging.. ? This bench racing is fun ? I think I'll go work out with a big mac.. ? Check this website for the schedule of Nevada desert races.... ?

MRANN

The timekeeping aspect of a true enduro can be a great leveler for us guys who arent quite so kamakazi fast. If you ride a few enduros and enjoy it get a good computer (ICO is the best) and it is a lot of fun trying to stay on time and knowing where you stand at all times on the course. Enduros are very much a mental game even with a computer doing most of the timekeeping for you and the mental aspect gives slower guys a chance against the blinding fast guys who dont keep time. Problem is there are a bunch of blinding fast guys who do keep time. They are called the winners.

yes the enduros are a blast....time keeping equip like the ICO checkmate is like cheating until you get behind and then its out the window and the head is down and away yoou go as fast as possible....just remember if you see a bunch of people or a few people waiting on the trail you could be at a reset and may burn a check if you dont stop and ask....all D36 enduros are a blast...

I think the advice heeded depends on the class you will race. If you are relatively fast (A or ?, then timekeeping and endurance should be your focus. If you are "C" as I was (and still am) with my first enduros, then finishing and health are your priorities---screw timekeeping, stay on the trail, and go as fast as you can--burning checks is an accomplishment, especially late in the race, especially after the first 300 riders have just abused the terrain in front of you. So if you are "C", GET FITTER than you think you need to be....Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate--Pedialyt (pediatric rehydration beverage---at most grocery stores), one 1/2 liter before you start, one 1/2 liter at the halfway refuel stop....and above all, have fun...its relatively easy to make mistakes when you are tired and/or dehydrated...not so much fun.

So if you are fast, follow someone with a computer, hydrate.

If you are slow, get in shape, stay hydrated, forget the timekeeping and go as fast as you can while staying safe....enjoy, learn, and then evolve

I've been back I the saddle(no pun intended) for about 3 years now, and ridden a few D-37 Dual Sport Events(Big Bear Night Ride, and LA-B2V ). I think it woud be a blast to give one of these a try sometime. I'm moving from S. Cal up to the Bay Area end of Feb, and would like to try my hand at one of these as well, maybe by then, some of us could get together and ride one for the fun of it. I consider myself mor of an B+ A- Rider, 39 years young, no wife or kids(that I know of), and the bike's already set with a roll chart, so following someone with a computer wouldn't be that difficult till I can get one. I've joined D-36 recently, and I've already been a D-37 Member http://www.district37ama.org/home.php for the past 3 years. Look forward to riding with you all sometimes, and meeting some new TT Friends. Met all my riding buddies from this site too. Don't plan on stopping meeting more.