Sign in to follow this  

What do you guys think?

I just bought two 05'crf250r's from a local shop here in california. Took one out for the first time the other day and it ran for ten minutes before it died. Took it back to the shop, they had it for two days and called to tell me the decompressor lever was stuck open and the exhaust valves had tightened to .005" each. They are trying to charge me $130.00 for labor or I can wait three weeks while they get a hold of Honda to try to get reimbursement and my bike sits at the shop. What do you guys think?

That is not a common problem. I would expect them to pay for it. Even though there is no warranty id complain till i got it payed for. I dont understand how it stuck open. usually it is from not draining your oil completely and the grunge collects in it. But whine till they get it payed for. U have 2 bikes just ride the other one. Cheers

tell them to fix the Flippin' bike, then they will get reimbursed by Honda like every other dealership. If they have a problem with that, assure them that you'll spend the rest of your life letting everyone know that their service blows.

It is a touchy one, but if they know they'll get reimbursed, get on the schedule.

If I just bought two brand new '05 bikes from them (and it really only ran for 10 minutes before stopping) I would expect them to make the repair for free. This should have been found on the "dealer prep" time. I would do my best to remain friendly but firm and only speak with a department or store manager. If there were no other alternatives, but to pay the $130, I would then ask for some kind of discount on future parts purchases. If all else fails, come back to TT and TRASH talk the dealer. 😢

I have been reading up on this bike, I have the 04' model(Really Bad valve problem on those) and you are the first person I've heard have any kind of valve problem. So Far!

Aescondido what dealership did you buy it from? I am in Northern Cali. in the Marysville- Yuba City area and was curious who it was. 😢

I have been reading up on this bike, I have the 04' model(Really Bad valve problem on those) and you are the first person I've heard have any kind of valve problem. So Far!

Aescondido what dealership did you buy it from? I am in Northern Cali. in the Marysville- Yuba City area and was curious who it was. 😢

I have the '04 as well and after more than 100 hours, the valves are perfect.

😢

How much profit do you think the dealer made? A lot more than $130 I'm sure. In fact, after buying two bikes, I would have thought you would be on their preferred customer or VIP list. If this was a typical dealer sale and assuming there are no extenuating circumstances you haven't mentioned then they should be solving your problem. That's one of a dealers functions. Furthermore, you probably paid a preparation or set-up charge. Is your problem a result of this not being done properly? It seems petty that a dealer would risk losing a good customer over a bill of $130. Maybe you need to talk to someone different at the dealership.

It's unfortunate that the best relationship you'll have with many dealerships is at the moment the deal is made. For many, it's just a downhill slide from there.

I just bought two 05'crf250r's from a local shop here in california. Took one out for the first time the other day and it ran for ten minutes before it died. Took it back to the shop, they had it for two days and called to tell me the decompressor lever was stuck open and the exhaust valves had tightened to .005" each. They are trying to charge me $130.00 for labor or I can wait three weeks while they get a hold of Honda to try to get reimbursement and my bike sits at the shop. What do you guys think?

Call the Honda Customer Support number that is listed in the owners manual and tell them about your problem. I am willing to bet that they will pay for it. Let us know how it goes... 😢