Sign in to follow this  

Clicking noise on X...

When going rather slow under 10mph in 1st gear (not sure if it happens when I am going faster 2nd gear and above cant hear it as well) and a open up the throttle a bit not totally open but enough to get the bike a jerk. I can hear a rather distinctive clicking sound (seems like it is coming from the chain area), the chain is not overly loose it’s actually right in spec. I don’t see any scratches or anything on the swing arm and I don’t think it is doing any damage but I would just like to know if it is the nature of the beast or if something needs to be looked at.

Thanks in advance.

cool, i thought so just wanted to ask an expert such as yourself 😢

and thanks for the quick reply!

I too had the same problem. after looking and adjusting the chain a number of times I found that the chain slider (protects the swing arm from the chain) does not fit the best. When the chain would slap the slider the slider then would slap the swing arm. I took some rtv and glued it down, let it set and the noise is all but gone. 😢

Very cool! I will try that today, I am putting some parts on her and might as well try that! thanks again.

ROCK ON!

that fixed the sound, you rock!

thanks again!!

(was not a problem but was annoying)

Mate your a blo\\y legend MCRIDR i have always hated this noise but started to get used to it 😢😢 ,untill i saw this, im not the one to take advise on issue as a lot of it is b/s but since yours was so simple for an annoying noise i thought what the h//ll and do it, and it is GONE mate she is quiet.

Such a simple deal its silly.

Thanks heaps smiling from ear to ear.

Totaly stock standard crf250x, the way honda built it to be.

I got my 250x and only riden it 3times so far and heard the same thing. Everybody said dont worry but when you first ride you wonder hmmm. So thanks and I'll get it fixed soon.

I took some rtv and glued it down, let it set and the noise is all but gone. 😢

Can you elaborate on this? What is RTV and what did you actually do? Can you be specific please?

Thanks,

zgw8

Hi rtv is silicone sealer,i used clear it goes rubbery when set acting as a dampner.

What you do is undo the top screw on the chain slipper the one closet to the back wheel (that is what the chain runs on on the swing arm) then lift it up and clean under it then squirt silicone under it put the screw back in and clean up the excess,do the same for the bottom as far as you can up to the frame then put back together and clean up(or if you cant get the screws out just lift it up as it has movement hence the reason why it makes the noise, let harden for at least 2 days before riding and hey presto one quiet bike.

The silicone fills up the gap in the slipper between the swing arm providing a sound barrier and still leaving flex, trust me it works,and it takes all of 10 minutes to do and stuff all silicone so just get a small tube, now enjoy. 😢

The R rattles like that to. When I first got the bike I kept putting it on the stand and checking it. That is a great tip. Thanks. The other tip everyone will give you is to toss the stock chain. 😢

What is RTV?

RTV is a silicone adhesive, similar to bath tub caulk, but with an adhesive ingredient. Read back just 2 posts to crf250xlover, he says it right there along with the instructions on how to do the job.

LOL - That's been a question I wanted to ask, but refrained for fear of sounding like a complete moron. It looks like a few people were in the same boat.

Another star on the board for TT...

My X makes that sound also. I just figured it was a Honda "feature" 🙂 Now I know how to fix it. Thanks

Don't expect a miracle from this fix. It helped my bike, but it didn't make it go away completely. (This would be the point where the KTM guys would jump in and claim their bikes don't have this problem) LOL

Has anyone tried the slider from T.M. Designworks? Their chain guide is one sweet product. I haven't tried the slider though. I tried the RTV this afternoon. We'll see what it does.