Sign in to follow this  

I made out at the DMV big time!

My recently purchases KLX 300 just got the title change and is now dual purpose. BWAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!!! No speedo, no turn signals, no odometer, no brake light, no rear view mirror, nothing, NADA!!!!

I just waited and waited and the DMV personnel finally relented. It took about an hour and a half, and the whole situation was entirely confusing, lunch hour was approaching, she was in experienced, I acted confused to further her confusion, etc. I think she just caved in after awhile. 😢

This is really really going to open up my riding areas. Yahoooooo!!!!!

But will it still be dual purpose when the police man pulls ya over for ridin' on the street and ya pull out an inaccurate registration (although no fault of your own)? Think you'll still end up with a ticket for not having the brake light or turn signals?

Not to burst your bubble, but I bet DMV notifys you that there was an error processing your bike and ask for the plates back. I honestly hope I'm wrong.

palmdale, I know a guy that basically pulled off the same thing after the Jan 04 deadline. He just went in and they gave it to him. 6 months later he still has the plate. If you want to DS the KLX cheaply, you can do it for a reasonable amount. About $80.

Go to pep boys, get a dual filament bulb and socket for the tailight. Get a hydraulic switch for your rear master cylinder, put on a mirror and you're pretty good. Andy at Four Strokes Only can get you everything you need. I've been riding my KLX between trails with just such a setup. Have been eyed by a few cops, but no one has pulled me over. I try to stay OFF the highway, but occationally jump on to access another trail.

Did You Go To The Lancaster Office? If So. That Crf450x Is Looking Really Good Right About Now

I've never been to the Lancaster office. I figure it's alot like the Palmdale office, where you have to wait outside before you can wait inside. 😢

I went up the Bakersfield DMV where I had some other things to do. It was worth the trip. 😢

In my neck of the woods, you don't need the extra lights, but you better know your traffic hand signals, or they'll stop you.

That's how I got my bike plated too! I did put on all of the required lights after though. It still isn't actually legal but it looks legal from far away. I know people who didn't do that, got pulled over and were given a "request for inspection" They either lost their plates or spend way more money getting all of the DOT approved stuff. I spent about $150 CAD to do this and it would have been about $600 if it was all legal. I'd highly reccommend it. Night riding is awesome so having a headlight is great anyway!

Don't get pulled over on that bike. You might have gottent he plates but you better put the rest of the stuff on before you ride down the street. Oh and for your own safety get a brake light, it would suck to get hit from behind by some driver that was not paying attention that they were getting closer to you.

If you push the issue and get busted without the minimum equipment most of the states can, and do, confiscate your plate. 😢

I have a friend in IA and one in IN that had their tags repo'd...

Don't get pulled over on that bike. You might have gottent he plates but you better put the rest of the stuff on before you ride down the street. Oh and for your own safety get a brake light, it would suck to get hit from behind by some driver that was not paying attention that they were getting closer to you.

Actually I don't plan to ride on the street. I have a CBR929RR for that. Street legal to me gives me some assurance that when I HAVE to cross a street to find a connecting trail, I might be given some leway.

I'm going to go a head and get the other stuff needed to be really legal. I'm just don't have to bust my butt now, to get it done. The hard stuff is done. Now I just have to spend some money.