Sign in to follow this  

Buying an 01 DR-Z 400. Problems??

I'm doing the inspection on a ultra clean DR-Z 400 that my boss is considering buying. It's clean, well looked after with less than 4000km's (2500 Mi) on the clock and has a few goodies like pipe, bars, small blinker, different headlight, ceet. etc etc

It's just had a new camchain and had the advance mechanism (I assume he means auto decomp) upgraded to the 03 model parts. If there anything in particular I should look for that is prone to wear/failure on this model?

thanks guys.

Nothing springs to mind, just maybe advise him to switch to the ACT if it is a manual one, known weak spot on the early DRZ's 😢

The automatic cam chain tensioner was known to fail on the earlier models.

Its an easy and inexpensive mod to add a manual tensioner for peace of mind on the trail.

Edit. That Welsh fellow pipped me at the post, does he ever sleep? He did get the auto and the manual in the wrong order though, auto bad, manual good 😢

If it's an 01 S model it has the cheesy forks. 02 and later S models have the same forks as the E.

If it's an 01 S model it has the cheesy forks. 02 and later S models have the same forks as the E.

it's an E model.

I'm guessing the '03 timing adjuster' that his dealer fitted with the new timing chain was actually the chain tensioner.

I was actually quite impressed of the bike, even if it was only a 5 minute ride on bitumen. It's the first DRZ i've riden. It's no powerhouse, but I did like the linear power delivery and the general feel of the bike. Should be good for my boss to get back into dirtbikes. His last bike was a YZ490 😢