Sign in to follow this  

how many people have...

Just got done putting new intake valves in my bike, easy task i dont see why everyone is so scared about it, and i was putting the valve cover back on. I tightened 2 of the bolts and went to tighten one of the long ones, it barely felt like it was tight, and snapped right off.

I was just wondering how many people have done that cause it seemed really easy to do.

Now i have to go to the shop and hope they have one it stock, highly doubt it so im gonna have to wait a week or so untill the new one comes it before i can even fire the bike up. 😢

Gone to the local hardware store and home depot looking for a temporary one and neither had a bold that was the same size. 😢

You only tighten then just enough to compress the gasket. 7 ft lb is what the book says.

I don't recall any one ever doing it (since 02) but of course I don't read every post either.

In case you don't know, lift the valve cover up ever so slightly and from the side, with a light, you can see thru to start all the bolts.

It happend to me just this week, but it was the short one. My honda dealer told me it was backorderd so they gave me one out of a used 450. Thumbs up to Texarkana Honda.

Here's what I would do so I could ride.

Take the old bolt that snapped and clamp it in a vise. Drill a hole right through the center of it and insert another bolt the proper length through it. Silicone the top where the bolt goes through so no oil seeps out.

Did I explain that good enough?

I went and ordered a new one from the shop, 30 min later i found out that a buddy of mine has like 5 of them cause he did it once and decided to just go ahead and order a bunch just incase he did it again. Put it in, started up the bike, the valves are workin great!

Motoxguru, are you trying to tell me that whenever you take apart your bike you look up every single bolts torq spec and torq it properly every single time? I mean come on, i highly doubt anyone does that.

Going by feel is a good way to go on those bolts and a few others on the bike...

If you wrench on bikes enough...you should know the torque value of every size fastener on the bike...for every diameter...they are the same torque value and I think there are maybe 3 or 4 diff diameter bolts on the majority of the bike...

It doesnt matter if you are workin on a yamaha, honda, suzuki, kawi, etc...

a 6mm bolt gets torqued to a 6mm torque standard more often then not...and so on unless you are working on a KTM and then of course the hardware is crap and you have to go a little less...

Make sure to use a 1/4" drive also. You should never use a ratchet with a bigger drive head that the bolt diameter.

Infamous - did the valve replacement require any special tools?

What did you use to seat the valves with?

Strick, all i did was take the head off the bike, i put a rag under the valves. Then i got a 14mm wrench, pushed the springs down. I then got the keepers out of their place. Slid the valve out, slid the new valve in. I put the spring on, the top piece over the spring(not sure what its called) put the keepers in the hole. I then got the wrench and pushed the springs down and the keepers went into place.

I did no seat work, i was told by a guy at the shop that it was not necessary. He has done the same thing with his bikes.

I re-assembled everything, put in the proper shims.

Before i put the valves in you could push the kickstarter with your arm easily. After i put them in it was very difficult to push the kickstarter with my arm.

The bike fired right up and ran fine, I have not gone out and actually rode it on a track or anything yet, but the fact that it started easily made me happy!

After a couple of rides im going to check the clearance and shim them to spec's and ride the dog piss out of it!

At least yours broke! My back bolt decided to strip on me. I torqued it to spec 7lbs and boom it just kept turning. Still deciding on how to fix this the easiest way possible. We have a huge bolt warehouse and they do not have anything close to that I have to order straight from honda.

Hey, Trex

Probably happened becasue there was oil in the threads, like mine, and when your tightening it you cant really get a actual judgement on how tight it is.

have you thought of rethreading the hold? and finding a bolt thats the same length as the old one but with the proper thread that you put in it?