Sign in to follow this  

Clean Plastics

any good ideas of how to clean the brownish tint off my white XR gas tank? bleach perhaps? i dont know where the color came from but its stained by gas or something. thanks

Hi dirtbkr1004,

Use a household cleaning product called SoftScrub With Bleach, put some on a damp sponge and rub it into the plastic like your waxing. You should see results right away when your satisfied rinse. This stuff works great it will remove stains and dirt that gets into all those fine scratches on your plastic and make it bright white. Hopfully this works for your tank.

• Like 1

I tried Softscrub with bleach on my tank, and it did absolutely zilch!

In fact, if you search the subject you will fiond an old post with all kinds of funky things that were supposed to work. I tried lots of things and nothing made one ounce of difference.

I am resigned to having a yellowish tank. 😢

Al

I have the same problem with my tank. I have been dying to try some Krylon fusion paint that is formulated for plastic. You can get it at your local hardware store. I have been thinking of doing all the plastic in black but I have read both good and bad about it. If you give it a try please let me know how it comes out.

I've thought of doing the black paint thing as well. I read some where on here that it looks good until the first crash, and the paint scratches off and flaks off really easy.

I've had a couple of buddies paint their plastics and have had no problem with it.

I painted my side covers and headlight shroud with Krylon Fusion a few weeks ago. It looks great, but here in Canada, it is a little chillly for riding, so the real test won't be until spring, with the first crash.

Lots of posts about painting gas tanks. Doesn't seem to work, with the fumes "breathing" through the plastic. 😢 Thats why it has yellowed in the first place.

I'm going to go with full coverage graphics on my tank. 😢

Al

I have the full coverage tank graphics from factory effects and even that has a yellow tint to it. I guess something is better than nothing though! Aloop did make a nice silver, black and white version when they started but $500 is out of my price range for effects. http://www.aloop.com/contact_page.htm at the bottom of the page.

P.S. I do know that the Aloop is more than an effects package. But it is still pricey!

I use NAPA's bug and tar remover for taking the black off of my tank. I have had good success especially with NAPA's product. I have tried others but they have not produced the same results. I apply with a damp cloth after washing the bike..... you will need to apply some elbow grease and may have to do it in stages.

My experience is that the black is from contact from my riding gear (pants and boots).

IMO this is worth giving a shot....it works for me!

Good Luck 😢

I had the same problem when I bought my used 97 XR250R. I tried EVERYTHING to clean it. I ended up just buying a like-new 2003 XR250R tank off ebay. I got it for $75.

I would post a before/after picture, but I don't seem to be able to.

any good ideas of how to clean the brownish tint off my white XR gas tank? bleach perhaps? i dont know where the color came from but its stained by gas or something. thanks

Wear some Asterisk knee braces with Fox 180 pants and no Gear Guards - the first time out, I scuffed through the tank decals, the yellow color, and everything else. Right down to the clean white plastic 😢 . It wasn't very well done, but it proved that you can get through the yellow plastic and find nice white plastic.

OK. That's probably not the best way, but I did try an orbital buffing wheel with fairly coarse rubbing compound with no success. If you're willing to risk damage to the tank, try an orbital sander with 400 grit paper, then progressively move to more fine paper. You can finish off with the buffing compound which did seem to polish the tank nicely.

Or, look on Ebay and get a red tank. That's what I did and it looked much better.

I wet sanded my white tank on my XR600 with 400 the 600 grit sand paper then applied some new graphics. Later I tried the Mr Clean magic eraser on a portion of the tank that was not covered and it seemed to work well as a touch up measure (not sure it would make a brownish tank white). I've heard Mop and Glow floor wax helps restore shine to the white plastic. I think it's a combination of the fuel vapor permeating through the plastic and the sun that gives them that browninsh tint.