Sign in to follow this  

Pipe, Ign., Cams, Big-bore. Would any of them cancel the others gains?

I currently have a Yoshi Pipe on my '02 250f. I am thinking about doing a big-bore or a set of hot cams, Maybe even an aftermarket ignition. All of these mods claim to produce as much if not more gain than any pipe. If I did them all would they take away from each other and leave me with stock power and an empty wallet?

Um, no, they would not cancel out each others gains. The thing you need to look at is which mods complement the other mods you are looking to do. Read around and see who gaind power with which mods to see if they are even worth doing.

I rode a kitted 280 in a 250f recently and all i can say is holy sh#% batman. That thing rocked and was light to boot. No mod on this earth will do anything close to a 280 kit. Problem is if you race than you can only got to 262 to stay in the under 125 classes. But then again I reckon the 280 would nearly kick my 450f in the open class and its way lighter too.

I rode a kitted 280 in a 250f recently and all i can say is holy sh#% batman. That thing rocked and was light to boot. No mod on this earth will do anything close to a 280 kit. Problem is if you race than you can only got to 262 to stay in the under 125 classes. But then again I reckon the 280 would nearly kick my 450f in the open class and its way lighter too.

If you are running AMA the 262(.80" over) is not legal anymore in the 250 class. Tdub

If you are running AMA the 262(.80" over) is not legal anymore in the 250 class. Tdub

All classes are allowed 0.080" overbore under repairs. You're statement is incorrect.

Actually you can nullify one gain for another. Choose a wot cam with a low rpm pipe and you will get poor performance throughout.

What kind of power increase are you looking for is it low to mid or mid to high, then look for parts that compliment each other such as torque cams then look for a header pipe and muffler designed for low to mid power gains verses a high flow header pipe/muffler that gains power at higher revs. Porting your head and bigger valves will definitely increase the flow in your head but you will loose low end torque. You will have to rejet your carb to fully maximize the power increases from your new cams, header pipe/muffler and ported head.