Sign in to follow this  

Seized axles, any suggestions?

In the continuing saga of trying to fix up a used RM125, I found today that both the front and rear axles are seized to the bearings and won't come out. 😢😢 I always put a light coat of Bel-Ray waterproof grease on my axles but apparently the previous owner didn't.

Anyway, has anyone here had that problem and, if so, what did you do to get the axles out? If you took a block of wood and a hammer, I already tried that and they won't budge.

Thank you for any input you can give me. 😢😢

As was suggested, some penetrating oil and heat should do the trick. A propane torch should work nicely. Your bearings and seals are going to be replaced anyway, so don't worry about hurting anything. Just dont mash the threads on the axle.

I always put a light coat of Bel-Ray waterproof grease on my axles but apparently the previous owner didn't.

When you get ready to put some Bel-Ray grease on that axle, mix some antiseeze with the grease. This has worked very good for me. Also a little antiseeze on the seals and collars is not a bad idea either. 😢

having screwd up a few axles doing the wrong thing, the right thing is go to your craftsman store and get the brass flat punches. Do not put the punch inside the hollow axle but flush against the axle. Use penetrating oil and a heavy hammer and knock the hell outta it. The brass will not screw up the axle.

A tapered punch inside the axle with screw up the axle.