Sign in to follow this  

broken yzf HELP!

the gear that drives the waterpump on my 01 yz250f broke like three teeth off. i didn't notice it until the clutch case gasket started leaking and i went in to replace that. there was a big chunk of the gear laying in the bottom of the case. anyway my question is what should i do to make sure that busted gear isn't floating around in my engine? the bike is probably due for a top end and valve adjustment. i would rather prevent something from breaking before i end up with a $3000 parts bill for a $3000 bike. any suggestions would be great.

follow the manual and remove the cases to get to the water pump shaft. replace all parts necessary after a proper inspection. flush the lower end and all oil lines. inspect the filters and screen. you might as well replace the water pump seals too.

here is a question i have for you: did your water pump shaft have the retaining circlip on it?

as mine did NOT from the factory.

i have the circlip and everything looks ok on the waterpump im just worried about a piece of that gear floating around in my top end

I have broken that gearbefore, but it caused no harm. I was putting the cases back together and forgot to engage the gear before mating the cases up, and I heard a loud TIIINNNKK! i was so mad at myself, I should have known better, but beofre I knew it, dad and i had the thing welded up, stuck it in the lathe to clean it up a bit and I was riding. Of course I ordered a new $60 shaft and replaced it as soon as I got the new one.