Sign in to follow this  

Baja led taillight

Make sure you silicone the back where the wires go into it. I didn't and now mine is full of mud. 😢

So its a perfectly Ca. legal tail light/ brake light? if so, that is the next mod for my dads 03 and my 01

It really doesn't shine a whole lot of light on the plate. I can see how a cop could hassle you at night, especially when the light is full of mud. 😢

It really doesn't shine a whole lot of light on the plate. I can see how a cop could hassle you at night, especially when the light is full of mud.
Oh it shines a lot of light on the plate..... But the red is just so fricken bright its all red light.

As for the mud take it apart and clean it out. Only 2 screws. 😢

I don't think its 100% CA legit because it doesn't have a reflector. My excuse to counter that would be just that my liscense plate is reflective. 😢

But you could add a reflector somewhere if you had to. I think I have only had maybe 2 cops ever tail me for any length of time. "Looking for a reason". Didn't pull me over though.

Have done a wheelie in plain sight of 4 officers on seperate occasions and narrowly avoided being spotted doing a wheelie by at least a couple CHP officers. (They would have nabbed me for sure). 😢

Never have been pulled over even once in a car or on the bike..... Dumb luck. Thats all there is to it. 😢

Question Natethegreat... or anyone else.

Mine too got filled with dirt, and I tried to take it apart...by removing the two screws, but it seems like the lens is one big molded piece. No way INSIDE it... am I missing something?

Other than that... it's very slick.

The lens is glued to the circuit board.

FYI, I do not believe the Baja LED is DOT approved. Mine does not say it anywhere.

The website does not say it anywhere either that I could find.

I believe the lens area is too small to be DOT approved.

I can't prove it, but I did read somewhere that the BD is DOT. I've got one on my bike and I can't see any reason that would be a reason I'd get pulled over.

According to Chaparral:

Baja Designs LED Taillight

Very bright (19 LED) taillight with running light, brake light and built-in license plate light

Fully E11 approved for the street

No bulbs to replace

Lightweight, waterproof and vibration-proof design make it the ideal taillight for off-road motorcycles, dual sport conversions and O.E.M. retro fits

Buy one and don't look back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well, it sounds like its enough for me. i have two of those reflector license plate bolts. its probably just as legal as my home made fender eliminator.

I believe that the reflector issue is all that will keep it from the DOT stamp. It "technically" should have a red reflector on the rear, and on each side! I personally would never stop anyone for only that, maybe just to check out their bike, but never for the lack of a reflector!!!!! 😢

I had the same problem when I tried to take mine apart to clean out the mud. The circuit board won't come out of the plastic lens. Any ideas on getting the mud out?

I would just try and break the glue holding the board in there. I kinda made an assumtion in saying "its just 2 screws".

Try and cut the glue carefully with an exacto or something to get it out.

Mine needs to be taken apart too actually.

I bought a red LED tail light from Fourstrokes Only and modified the stock fender flap with the dremel and bumper repair epoxy. It is as clean as gets for a custom job. It held up well all summer. The light is so bright I can't imagine getting stopped on account of it. It cost only around $40. I'll post a picture of it if I can figure out how to do it.

what turn signals are you guys running with this setup? I just ordered the BD led setup and haven't figured out what will fit nicely.