Sign in to follow this  

WR250F or KTM exc250 racing(4-t)

WR250F vs. KTM EXC250 Racing

I have reached the stage which may bikers hate, choosing between to great bikes.

At the moment i am on a 2-stroke kawasaki, and would greatly love to try my first thumper. I would use the bike for light enduro and mainly messing around in woodland and green lanes.

I am just struggerling to decide between the yamaha ot ktm, they both have their plus and negative points. One of my friends has a wr450f and he loves it, and another friend has a ktm loves it to, but is struggling with the maintence.

If you own ither a exc250 racing or a wr250f please post the plus and possible negative points, if you dont own ither please feel free to post what you think about the bike.

I will not be buying the bike brand new, it will be used, about 02/03/04 so if you have ither of these bikes for sale please email me on Jimdarkice@gmail.com

I really need your help!

If you own ither a exc250 racing or a wr250f please post the plus and possible negative points, if you dont own ither please feel free to post what you think about the bike.

the WRF will have more power than the older "downsleeved" exc250 RFS.

I will not be buying the bike brand new, it will be used, about 02/03/04

see

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207600

the only issue to keep in mind is that 02's are kick-only, whereas 03's and later are e-start. pick your poison. if you get an 02 i would immediately get an 03 YZF cam; it will make your life a lot easier and improve performance as well. US$100.

ps:

read the entirety of the 250F FAQ:

http://www.thumperfaq.com/sitemap.htm

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f w/lots of DS/trail/enduro miles.

the ktm 250 rfs is nothing more than a DE-sleeved 400.

it has all the same weight as a 400 with half the power.

with overboring the cylinder you can make a 302 or a 351 out of this motor.

yet, still have all the weight of the 400.

it is a VERY heavy bike. it might feel light, but pick it up. you'll see.

the only ktm 250 rfs that is worth buying is the one you can't buy!!!

that would be the DOHC version that Towney (19year old kid who won the the world mx title on) that isn't available i the usa. maybe i would be available to you in the UK. i have no idea. best to stay way from the single cam version as it won't be worth much when the dual cam version is out.

If "light enduro and messing around woodlands and green lanes" is your intended use, then the WR is your baby!! Light weight, powerful, good suspension, dependable. One tip: depending on your height - if you're short (I'm 5'9") they dropped the seat height on the 05 and it's a little easier to reach the ground. Like Wrooster said, the e-start is available on 03, 04, and 05. It's worth the coinage.

Thanks for that you lot. I'm now definatly going for a WR250F!

Im only 15, about 5.8'/5.9' and about 140lbs, and im now despretly searching for a wr newer than 2003.

Is there alot of maintence needed on the high-revving engine?

I also posted a thread earlier about importing from japan, if any one has any advice i would love to hear it.

Thanks

But if possible I would still like some information on how or where to import a 2003 or newer WR250F.

If any one can provide any help i would like to hear from you.

Thanks

But if possible I would still like some information on how or where to import a 2003 or newer WR250F from japan.

If any one can provide any help i would like to hear from you.

Thanks