05 WR 250f was it a mistake?

anybody else buy an 05 WR and not happy with the power?if so what are we going to do about it?I came off of a 02 KTM 400 with a 453 big bore kit.it was too heavy and the susp. sucked,I had race tech springs and a bladder but did not do the gold valves because ididn't want to waste more money on a bike that was too heavy and wouldn't turn.so I wanted to go light and didn't think I needed 450 power so I put money down on a yz250f ,then somene talked me into WR.now I like the bike most of the time but when I race hare scrambles I get left behind on the grass track and long hills.then when I was trying to sell my KTM some one wanted to trade me an04 crf 450 for my KTM,needless to say I did it.now my delima is ,race the 450 or spend gobs of money getting more HP out of a WR and possibly not be happy.the bad thing is there are people kicking my butt on WR's.thanks for listening this is my therepy.

Ditto Wrooster.

You can get a bunch more power for free... see the FAQ.

As far as comparing it to your big bike, it's a tradeoff.... ya, you won't have the power and aren't going to be running at 50mph and pulling the front end up into a wheelie for a mile down the road, but your advantage in the tradeoff is a more nimble bike that uses half the fuel.

It's still a blast to ride. ?

I've done the three most common "free mods" - throttle stop, grey wire, and baffle on my 05 WR. The thing really responds when you give it some throttle (in terms of speed). It flies compared to the CRF230 I was riding. But it is curious that I can't raise the front wheel up in 2nd or 3rd by flogging the throttle. Maybe I just don't how? Overall, I really like it though. Especially after going out a few clicks on the front fork and softening it up a bit.

What would make you think a 250 should keep-up with a 450? I'm a heavy guy and while riding the straights against a CRF250X with a rider about 100lbs lighter, my WR450F flies off like he's not even trying. I also road the same CRF250X afterward and it just can't compare in power. There's probably nothing wrong with your bike, it's just a matter of cc's.

Rich

I've done the three most common "free mods" - throttle stop, grey wire, and baffle on my 05 WR. The thing really responds when you give it some throttle (in terms of speed). It flies compared to the CRF230 I was riding. But it is curious that I can't raise the front wheel up in 2nd or 3rd by flogging the throttle. Maybe I just don't how? Overall, I really like it though. Especially after going out a few clicks on the front fork and softening it up a bit.

Shoot, I did all the free mods and I cant keep the thing down if its not it the mood to bog out( needs a jetting change). I think after the mods its TOTALLY different. It kinda like Wooow holy FU$% what did I do to this thing.

What would make you think a 250 should keep-up with a 450? I'm a heavy guy and while riding the straights against a CRF250X with a rider about 100lbs lighter, my WR450F flies off like he's not even trying. I also road the same CRF250X afterward and it just can't compare in power. There's probably nothing wrong with your bike, it's just a matter of cc's.

Rich

well I had lots of people say they could ride just as fast on a 250f because it has less rotating mass and will handle better in tight woods.I know people who are way fast on 250f's.The top 2 pros in MO harescrambles ride 250f's.My neighbor and class competition on a crf250 could beat me on my KTM.My oringinal plan was to get a 280 kit and hot cams but after riding the crf 450 I'm having second thoughts about that it still wont be enough.I think I answered my own question I wont be happy with anything less than a 450.It sucks because I bought a lot of stuff for it and I can't afford upkeep on 2 bikes.I already spend a lot on my sons bike which I also realy like its a yz 250 he's having the suspension done and fly wheel weight and gnarly pipe,can't wait to see what thats like.

BarkBuster , This is Criner250f.I have a rekluse in my 250f.Its bad as#!.I ve been runnin with Elston so next time i see you you can try her out and see what you think.Also scott frazier has one on his crf 450..you art to try it first see if you like it.There hard to get used to,but there way easy to handle because there less fatigue(not haveing to clutch or start your bike)

Just go and giver hell!Fast like!

well I had lots of people say they could ride just as fast on a 250f because it has less rotating mass and will handle better in tight woods.I know people who are way fast on 250f's.The top 2 pros in MO harescrambles ride 250f's.My neighbor and class competition on a crf250 could beat me on my KTM.My oringinal plan was to get a 280 kit and hot cams but after riding the crf 450 I'm having second thoughts about that it still wont be enough.I think I answered my own question I wont be happy with anything less than a 450.It sucks because I bought a lot of stuff for it and I can't afford upkeep on 2 bikes.I already spend a lot on my sons bike which I also realy like its a yz 250 he's having the suspension done and fly wheel weight and gnarly pipe,can't wait to see what thats like.

If you are not happy with the bike, put it up for sale along with the aftermarket parts you bought for it.

YZ cam and either a stock YZ exhaust or a Dr. D. You can out accelerate the big bike initially because you are not spinning the tire as much but once they hook up they close fast but the 250F will out brake them if your ability is there. There are places that there is no substitute for cc's though. My racing partner had a '00 YZ426 and we would practice together by laying out short woods loops. He is a local pro level harescrambler and I am top 5 250 class, at that time, we haven't been able to race much the last couple of years. I could pull him in short straights no problem because of what I said above. I have passed big bore four strokes on hills by holding the throttle on longer and braking harder at the turn at the top of the hill. You need to ride it like a 125 at times.

Barkbuster, your trying to race a 250's weakness against a big bores strength. Set your 250 up to corner, corner, corner then brake, brake brake.

Last week I had a race where there were several 5th gear straights. the big bikes would pull me down the straight by at least 3-5 bike lengths. My little 250 was screamin. Every single big bore I passed at the end of the straights because I would hold the power on much longer then out brake them and then out corner them. Toward the end of the race the big bore guys were in a survival mode with elbows dangling low and butts on the seat. I was still charging.