Sign in to follow this  

wrong oil ?

Guys please help, i did the oil change as usual ready for the next ride out new filter too 😢

Now i just been changing the tranny oil on my boys PW50 and just noticed the oil is 5W40 not 10W40 as i thought it was. Now i have already filled the DRZ and only rode it for a few minutes, so is this oil ok or am i going to have to drain and refill with the correct oil?

So you put 5w40 engine oil in your in drz?

yes i did, i only realised i had done it when getting the bottle from the shelf to fill the PW50

You would probably be ok. 5-40 is close to 10-40. 5-40 will actually flow better when it's cold than 10-40. I wouldn't be too concerned, unless you're running at really high rpms in really hot weather. The brand of oil probably makes more difference. I use the Mobil MX4T 10-40 full synthetic. Seems to work pretty good.

You would probably be ok. 5-40 is close to 10-40. 5-40 will actually flow better when it's cold than 10-40. I wouldn't be too concerned, unless you're running at really high rpms in really hot weather. The brand of oil probably makes more difference. I use the Mobil MX4T 10-40 full synthetic. Seems to work pretty good.

Well it is all but warm here in the UK right now so going on what you say i should have no worries???

Also you said the brand of oil is probably more important, i posted a thread asking that very question about a week or so ago, does the brand of oil make any difference. The overwhelimng majority said makes no difference as long as the ratings are the same as oil is oil 😢

Hi CardifDRZ,

I would not worry about the 5W40, some of the outstanding synthetics like Mobil 1 are 0-40 and they are fine. It's just the temperature range od operation of the oil is increased. Generally mean more expensive too.

As far a brands goes I'd stick with a well known one just be safe. but other then that they all have to pass certain standards so will be fine. Some brands just have extra addatives to clean the engine etc...

Hope this helps.

This oil thread is no different then the 1000 before it, or to follow. Ask it of ten rider, get twelve answers.

There is a train of thought that says the additive package in a broad range viscosity oil ..like 5w-40 will brake down sooner... and be that much less protective...I hare read this in reference to petroleum based oils.. Not Synthetics, so it may not apply to Syn oils.

As discussed before... I ride my bikes as hard as possible,, I doubt the motor could be used in a more strenuous mannor..and no,, that is not bragging,, in fact it is a bit embarrassing 😢 Bottom line.. I want the perfect oil in my motors,, they very best it can be,, and I change it often, so as to remove all those contaminates from the very oil that is protecting a lot of bearings spinning at 10K, the transmission gears,cylinder walls, etc etc.

If it is getting as cold as I would think it is in your part of the UK..5-40 should be OK as far as weight..and the type and brand has already been hashed out.

Ya, you should be ok. Even 10W30 is good up to 86 degrees according to the manual.

On my next oil change, I'm going to put in some Pennzoil synthetic 5w50. I think the 5's may be better for cold start ups.

It's always better to use quality oil and keep it clean. Motorcycle oil is best because it has additives for the trans and clutch that automotive oils do not have. Weight viscosity range is there for various engine running temteratures.

It is not the weight of the oil that is important here. It is: if the oil you used is identified as an "energy conserving" oil. "Energy conserving" oils such as 0W20, 5W20, 5W30, 10W30 should not be used in motorcycle engines because of special friction modifiers that are part of the additive package. If your 5W40 oil is marked "energy conserving"--Change it. In the US, the "energy conserving" marking is part of the API symbol. UK may be different.

Welsh boy ,

Have u ever bin to toms farm if so whats it like ?

No mate, i never been there, not even heard of it maybe u can enlighten me?

Thanks to you guys for the help, i have no idea what the numbers on the oils mean, so i just panicked thinking i have put the wrong stuff in.

Ref: energy conserving, i never seen that on any oils here in the UK maybe it is just a US thing 😢

I am using Halfords own brand motorcycle oil what i thought was 10W40, now appears to be 5W40 😢 Any ways thanks Bronco and the rest of you guys for the help 😢

No mate, i never been there, not even heard of it maybe u can enlighten me?

Thanks to you guys for the help, i have no idea what the numbers on the oils mean, so i just panicked thinking i have put the wrong stuff in.

Ref: energy conserving, i never seen that on any oils here in the UK maybe it is just a US thing 😢

I am using Halfords own brand motorcycle oil what i thought was 10W40, now appears to be 5W40 😢 Any ways thanks Bronco and the rest of you guys for the help 😢

Don't listen to these guys. You have ruined your DR-Z forever now. Just to help you out ship your bike to me here in the US, and I will dispose of it for you. Since you are a fellow TT member I won't even charge you. 😢

On a serious note a friend of mine used to manage a wholesale oil business and they sent him to school for oil. According to them even lightweight oil will protect very well, it is the additives. 😢

Ref: energy conserving, i never seen that on any oils here in the UK maybe it is just a US thing :excuseme:QUOTE]

I wouldn't have thought so, but it could be that they don't have energy conserving oils in the UK. Since I've never been there, I can't say. But we have them in Canada too. 5w30 and 10w30 oils are energy conserving. If you look at the container, it will say if it is.