Sign in to follow this  

YZ250f down for the count (winter)

Finnally got the time to pack the bike into the basement. Drained all the gas, I think, from carb, and tank. Just a little left in the tank though. it's coming off for the cam swap probably next week. Should I be concerned with the little that is in there until then. It's capped and petcock is off. Just don't want any flare ups.....

(BTW, where can I get a feeler gauge to check the valves?)

Merry Xmas,

Steve

looking to get into a four stroke, how often on the yamaha do you have to check valves, or worry about checking them?

looking to get into a four stroke, how often on the yamaha do you have to check valves, or worry about checking them?

LOL!!!! You need to do a comparison between the YZF and the CRF/KXF forums. Just look up valve in each forum and you'll see what I mean.

I've only checked my valves once, right after breakin. I'm replacing the exhaust cam this year to a 2003, so I have to check for reshimming....that's all......

You just can't beat the Yamahas for reliability. I raced my 03 YZ250f for 2 seasons in enduros and h/s...put over 3,000 miles on it and the valves never budged...last checked them about 500 miles ago.

I picked up a support ride from a Honda shop on a CRF250X....and the intakes zero'd after about 300 miles. I've reshimmed them and hoping it will make it through a swing down south to Daytona for races.....but I'm probably going to buy an extra head to keep in the van(luckily they are very cheap).

Or I might just pick up a spare YZ250F 😢