Sign in to follow this  

Hard Starting Since its gotten cold

Hey, I'm in college so I only get to come home every couple of weeks, and since its gotten colder my 01yz250f doesn't want to start unless I push start it. I just adjusted the valves this summer and haven't hardly ridden it since then, I was just wondering if it was because of the cold weather and lack of being started. And if so, what are some things I can do to help it start easier?

Thanks

Your carburetor probably has varnish in it. If you let your bike sit for more than three weeks, its advised you drain all the gas out of the float bowl and tank is good to. just take your carb off and clean it with Carburetor Cleaner. The lazy mans way (my way) of draining the float bowl is just to keep the bike running after a ride and turn the gas off. Sucks it dry.

-Doug

Although I must mention I ride everyday I would like to mention after a 25 degree night, my bike started 2nd kick this morning. Probably would have started first kick but my foot slipped. And this is not rare, my bike always starts with 1-2 kicks. Of course it is an 04 which is alot easier to start then an 01. What may be wrong has already been mentioned so Ill pass on my procedure. Turn the gas on, turn choke on, 1 good blip of the throttle (if you havent been riding yet that day) and then just give it a good full solid kick. Its also alot easier if your rolling forward and can stand up and get your body overtop the kick starter. Like when I roll out of my garage its slopped down a little so sometimes I just let it roll and stand up to kick it.

Yeah I forgot to mention that, if your bike hasn't been started in the last day or so...when you go to start it give the throttle one good blip to prime the pump.

-Doug

Ya know I just stalk all the 4-stroke forums just looking for posts that start with "hard starting in cold weather"

I know why they do this.

Does your bike start and stall and keep doing this forever until it either fowls the plug or starts? Its the starter jet. NO not the pilot jet. But the starter jet. The starter jet only affects the choke circuit when the choke is turned on. In the cold temps the jetting gets lean. Cold air is dense air. More air and you need more gas. You need to go bigger on all the jeting including the starter jet. Usually when it is around 35 deg or so I only change out the starter jet. Once it gets really cold, like 10-15 deg I start changing all the jetting over.

In the winter on my YZ400 I go from a 175 main to a 180. I bump up 1 size on the pilot, Move the needle up 1 clip and go from a 65 starter jet to a 72 starter jet. Makes a HUGE diferance in the way the bike runs.

I argued with a friend last winter about this. I was eating plugs left and right. He was trying to convince me that it was running rich and needed to be leaned out. Which went against everything I knew about jeting. I went richer on the jeting and it ran perfect. Silenced him after that. And this year he is actually aking some of my jeting advice and changing his jetting on his YZ250f.

I used Garrets exel jetting chart to figure out were I needed to be at. It worked great. It was set up for YZ426 jetting but I put in my jeting specs and it worked great. Its on TT here somewere but I cant get to the TT main page for some reason to find it.

If you do nothing else install a bigger starter jet to see if that helps things. Its in the bottom of the carb next to the main and pilot.

Just bump the pilot 1 size and you'll be fine. If you want to go one bigger on the main. That's all I ever did with my 4-strokes.

Also on the 03 carbs or ealier units with the DrD hotstart, you have to keep the hot start plunger lubricated. If the plunger sticks in the carb, it will make starting almost impossible with the kick starter. But you will be able to bumpstart the bike.

I dunno whats all the hype about the auto decomp. My 01 still starts 2 or 3 kicks when cold, first kick when warm. It just sucks if I lay the bike over. Sure, screwin around with the decomp lever sucks, but I'm not spendin 300 bucks on cams...